Article
· Jun 6, 2016 7m read
Language Extensions

This is a posting about a particular feature of Caché which I find useful but is probably not well known or used. I am referring to the feature of Language Extensions.

This feature allows you to extend the commands, special variables and functions available in Caché Object Script with commands, special variables and functions of your own. This functionality also applies to other languages the Caché supports at the server, including Caché Basic and Multivalue Basic.

Why would I need or want to add new commands ?

14 5
4 1.3K

In this article I'll describe how to set up web services and/or REST services using EWD 3.

Since EWD 3 is designed to be modular, you can construct the environment that exactly meets your needs, but for much of the time you'll probably find that the pre-built EWD 3 ewd-xpress super-module does most of what you need because it hooks together all the core EWD 3 and other building-blocks you'll need:

4 1
1 1.3K

The MONITOR process (also called the Caché Monitor) scans the messages in your cconsole.log file and sends you emails based on the severity of those messages. The MONITOR is configured using the ^MONMGR utility in terminal.

The MONITOR should not be confused with the similarly named System Monitor, which checks a variety of system health and performance metrics and can log messages regarding them to the cconsole.log, where they can then be scanned by the MONITOR.

2 6
1 1.3K
Article
· Sep 7, 2016 5m read
Running HealthShare XSLTs from Terminal

HealthShare uses a lot of XSLTs. These are used to convert IHE medical documents to SDA (internal HealthShare format) and back to IHE formats, to create summary reports, and to deal with IHE profiles (e.g., patient information query, document provide and register). Customers may customize the XSLTs to customize reports or for other reasons.

For debugging and development, it is very convenient to be able to run an XSLT from Terminal.

13 1
3 1.3K

Imagine that your .NET project uses the Caché DBMS and you need a fully-functional and reliable authorization system. Writing such a system from scratch would not make much sense, and you will clearly want to use something that already exists in .NET, e.g. ASP.NET Identity. By default, however, this framework supports only its native DBMS – MS SQL. Our task was to create an adaptor that would let us quickly and easily port Identity to the InterSystems Caché DBMS. This work resulted in creation of the ASP.NET Identity Caché Provider.

4 1
0 1.3K

This is the second article in a series on iKnow demo applications, showcasing how the concepts and context provided through iKnow's unique bottom-up approach can be used to implement relevant use cases and help users be more productive in their daily tasks. Last week's article discussed the Knowledge Portal, a straightforward tool to browse iKnow indexing results.

This week, we'll look into the Set Analysis demo, a slightly more advanced application where you'll be using the concepts identified by iKnow to organize your content into sets of documents. The original version of this demo was developed by Danny Wijnschenk & Alain Houf for an academy session at GS2015, but the app has evolved significantly since then.

5 10
0 1.3K

One of the topics that comes up often when managing Ensemble productions is disk space:

The database (the CACHE.DAT file) grows in a rate that was unexpected; or the Journal files build up at a fast pace; or the database grows continuously though the system has a scheduled purge of the Ensemble runtime data.

It would have been better if these kind of phenomena would have been observed and accounted for yet at the development and testing stage rather than on a live system.

For this purpose I created a basic framework that could aid in this task.

4 7
2 1.3K

RESTful API Call From Cache to Particle.io Electron

Tom Fitzgibbon | Multidata | 212-967-6700 x537 | tom@mul.com

Summary: Simple Blink Tutorial for Particle.io Electron Device from Cache

Electron device is a tiny ARM processor ($40-$60) that connects to Particle’s world wide leased 2G/3G network (about $3/mo) and runs off an included LiPo battery. Using Cache’s %Net.HttpRequest you can send/receive data, control hardware and read sensors.

Step by Step (about 1 hour)

1) Get the Electron from store.particle.io.

2 0
0 1.2K
Article
· Sep 30, 2016 1m read
ECP Magic

I saw someone recently refer to ECP as magic. It certainly seems so, and there is a lot of very clever engineering to make it work. But the following sequence of diagrams is a simple view of how data is retrieved and used across a distributed architecture.

For more more on ECP including capacity planning follow this link: Data Platforms and Performance - Part 7 ECP for performance, scalability and availability

10 0
0 1.2K

Each business component in Ensemble picks up its allocated jobs from a pool, and the Pool Size setting for each component determines how many jobs each component can work on each time. In this article we will be specifically discussing different Pool Size settings for Business Processes.

Pool Size = 1

5 3
0 1.1K
Article
· Jul 18, 2016 15m read
Remote proxy objects via dynamic dispatch

This article created as side effect of preparations to the longer set of articles about simple, but still handy MapReduce implementation in Caché. I was looking for relatively easy way to pass arguments to (potentially) multiple targets via remote calling facilities. And after several attempts I have realized that we do have very powerful mechanism in the Caché ObjectScript which might be of particular help here – dynamic dispatch for methods and properties.

7 7
0 1.1K
Article
· Feb 19, 2016 2m read
Simple $system.Event examples

The attached file contains two $system.Event examples that processes work asynchronously using persistent queues:

Events_Simple

This is a very basic example that creates some worker processes and then enqueue messages to them using $system.Event.

5 6
1 1.1K

Earlier in this series, we've presented four different demo applications for iKnow, illustrating how its unique bottom-up approach allows users to explore the concepts and context of their unstructured data and then leverage these insights to implement real-world use cases. We started small and simple with core exploration through the Knowledge Portal, then organized our records according to content with the Set Analysis Demo, organized our domain knowledge using the Dictionary Builder Demo and finally build complex rules to extract nontrivial patterns from text with the Rules Builder Demo.

This time, we'll dive into a different area of the iKnow feature set: iFind. Where iKnow's core APIs are all about exploration and leveraging those results programmatically in applications and analytics, iFind is focused specifically on search scenarios in a pure SQL context. We'll be presenting a simple search portal implemented in Zen that showcases iFind's main features.

8 1
1 1.1K
Article
· Dec 20, 2016 5m read
Atelier, The Productivity Boost Tool

Development productivity? Isn’t it kind of an oxymoron? Anyhow, we all dream a magic tool which does the tedious job of the software development and leave the intuitive or creative part on the developer. Atelier is the next generation tool of InterSystems aiming to boost the productivity of Caché/ Ensemble based software development. Atelier is based on the popular Eclipse IDE platform, which makes available the “infinite” pool of third party tools for Caché developers. Those tools can truly boost the productivity. This short article gives some examples how third party plug-ins can help developing for Caché. It is an absolute beginner’s guide, beginner to Eclipse but experienced to Caché.

3 1
0 1.1K
Article
· Jan 25, 2016 1m read
2016.2 Field Test

I am pleased to announce the field test of Caché and Ensemble 2016.2 - an exciting new release with improvements on many different fronts.

The entire product team at InterSystems looks forward to your participation in the field test and feedback over the coming months.

Some of the more profound changes in 2016.2 include:

6 6
0 1.1K

Today my customer ask me a question about how to write the MDX with a summary row however this row with different aggregate functions for each column.

We know in DeepSee analyzer has pivot table option "Summary", user can select sum, avg ... aggregate functions to get the summary row/column. However we can not specify different aggregate function for each measure column.

Here show the example to use All level and IIF function achieve that. see the example (Holefood cube in Sample namespace) below

WITH MEMBER measures.[with avg summary info] AS

2 6
0 1.1K

Mirror Outage Procedures

Caché mirroring is a reliable, inexpensive and easy to implement high availability and disaster recovery solution for Caché and Ensemble-based applications. This article provides an overview of recommended procedures for dealing with a variety of planned and unplanned mirror outage scenarios.

5 0
1 1.1K

I was recently asked whether we have a function to convert LDAP date time stamps into $HOROLOG format or other formats and the answer is not at the moment, but there is a simple method to do the conversion.

Let us look at the facts and figures involved...

1) Active Directory's (AD) date 0 (zero) is 1601-01-01 00:00:00.000 or January 1st, 1601 at midnight (00:00:00)

2) AD timestamps are calculated as the number of 100 nanosecond intervals from date 0

3) 864000000000 is the number of 100 nanosecond intervals per day

6 1
0 1K
Article
· Oct 27, 2016 2m read
New WRC Customer Interface

New WRC Customer Interface

Come check out the new WRC interface we have made available to supported customer.

Some of the new features available to you are:

Organization Dashboard – gives an overview of your organizations activity for this year

9 9
0 1K
Article
· Jul 14, 2016 1m read
Caché Haiku

Alex Koblov posted today a #CachéHaiku:

Full command names

Make your code more readable

Than compact versions

My haiku:

Caché Globals

Shows you keys to the value

If you $order it

Your variant? ;)

8 19
1 1K

Recently we have exercised this with a partner. It may be helpful for others as well.

The basic functionality is to connect to SAP through SAPJCo (Supporting SAPJCo 3.07+).

As a first step have a production with at least two items of the following type:

• EnsLib.JavaGateway.Service
  • EnsLib.SAP.Operation

Configure the settings for the Java Gateway and the SAP Operation accordingly. And start the production.

1 2
1 1K

I have posted to aid others in diagnosing problem with SSL/TLS connections to superserver port from .NET client executable.

The cache instance this appeared on is quite old - 2011 - so I do not know if Intersystems have added a better error message in a later version

The actual fault was due to the certificate in the %SuperServer SSL/TLS configuration having expired.

The unhelpful message that appeared in the .NET client included the following partial stack trace.

0 0
0 1K