NewBie's Corner Session 1 Installing Caché
Welcome to NewBie's Corner, a weekly or biweekly post covering basic Caché Material.
Session 1 - InterSystems Inc. allows you to download a single copy of Caché to your personal computer at no cost. This is available from www.InterSystems.com. It is at this link: https://download.InterSystems.com. You will first need to register yourself with InterSystems. Follow the instructions on how to download the install file. Choose the full version of Caché, not the Client Components.
After you have downloaded the Caché install file, double click on the executable (*.exe), and let it run taking the default answers for all the questions. You will be asked for two passwords, remember these, you will need them later. Your username will be your username on your computer.
Once the installation is complete, a small cube will appear in your system tray.
The Caché Cube
Click on the Cube and you will see the following menu:
- Getting Started – this will take you to the InterSystems website, Getting Started with Caché
- Start Caché – start the Caché Instance
- Stop Caché – stop the Caché Instance
- Studio – platform upon which to develop your software
- Terminal – platform upon which to run your software
- Management Portal – numerous items for managing the Caché Instance
- Documentation – InterSystem's Documentation on Caché other products by InterSystems
- Remote System Access – accessing a system remotely
- Preferred Server
On some PCs, the small bluish cube did not show up in the system tray. It could be that the cube is there but hidden. There should be a down arrow on the left side of the system tray. Click on it and you should see the cube which you can bring to the visible part of the system tray.
If the small bluish cube did not show up in the system tray, it could be that the cube is there but hidden by your system tray. There should be a down arrow on the left side of the system tray. Click on it and you should see the cube which you can bring to the visible part of the system tray.
You will get an email from InterSystems welcoming you and showing you the starting web page of their documentation.
If you have a comment, please respond through the InterSystems Developer Community, don't send me private email. Unless of course you wish to address me only.
See NewBie Index for an index of all NewBie Corner posts.