Article
· Dec 31, 2019 3m read
Portlets that use data from DeepSee

In the previous part of this series, we saw how to reference a web page that will enhance our dashboard experience. Now we will look into referencing data that is already in our cubes.

In this example, we will be referencing the controller object and we will be extracting data from it. This data will then be displayed as text in our Dashboard. In Part 5, we will show how to incorporate this data into other charting libraries.

2 0
0 215

Last time we deployed a simple IRIS application to the Google Cloud. Now we’re going to deploy the same project to Amazon Web Services using its Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS).

We assume you’ve already forked the IRIS project to your own private repository. It’s called <username>/my-objectscript-rest-docker-template in this article. <root_repo_dir> is its root directory.

Before getting started, install the AWS command-line interface and, for Kubernetes cluster creation, eksctl, a simple CLI utility. For AWS you can try to use aws2, but you’ll need to set aws2 usage in kube config file as described here.

3 1
2 1.4K

In the previous part of this series, we saw how to define a basic portlet. Now we will look into making this portlet reference a web page that will enhance our dashboard experience.

In this example, we will be embedding a Developer Community article along side a couple of widgets displaying information related to the number of views on the Developer Community articles. This example is not hosted on the Community Analytics server, but if it was we could see the view counts going up as we interacted with the page.

Why use this?

In a real case, perhaps you have an embedded page from an external web site showing the current Emergency Room wait times for Hospitals in your area. This portlet can be used along side widgets from your Emergency Room showing how many people are waiting, how many doctors are active, and how many people are being treated. As other Emergency Room wait times grow, you can possibly expect your volume to increase as well. This can help you make decisions on how to allocate resources.

1 0
0 374
Article
· Dec 12, 2019 2m read
Creating Portlets in DeepSee

What is a portlet?

The simple answer is: a custom widget. A portlet can exist by itself on a DeepSee dashboard, it can be used along side standard DeepSee widgets, or along side other portlets. The rendering of the custom widget is completely user defined. This means you can embed a web page, create a form to perform any sort of action needed based on the data on your dashboard, use third party charting libraries, or simply display data from outside of a DeepSee cube.

How to get started

6 1
0 440
Article
· Dec 9, 2019 1m read
SUDOKU demo

A demo in traditional style COS

This was written based on a previous trial in .XLS
It is far from being perfect. Rather a challenge for
improvement in all directions (code, interface, ...)
So anyone feel invited to make it better.

13 0
0 549
Article
· Dec 9, 2019 1m read
ÍàØâàÞæØâë and you

If you work with anything other than English, you would earlier or later encounter the characters from the title or just plain ??????????.

Encodings are usually known, but sometimes you just get gibberish and need to make sense of it.

In this cases $zcvt is your friend, the three argument form specifically.

But there are a lot of options. So here's an utility script to check how the text would look like in different encodings:

3 4
0 382
Article
· Dec 7, 2019 1m read
About %objlasterror

%objlasterror is a useful reference to the last error.

Every time $$$ERROR is called, %objlasterror is set to a result of this call.

It's important in cases where you want to convert exception to status:

Try {
   //  quality code
} Catch ex {
   Set sc = $g(%objlasterror, $$$OK)
   Set sc = $$$ADDSC(sc, ex.AsStatus())
}

Because AsStatus calls $$$ERROR under the wraps, the order is important, first you need to get %objlasterror and convert exception after that.

7 8
3 1K

Olá pessoal,

Compartilho material de um curso desenvolvido por mim, espero que possa ajudar a comunidade.

English:

Hi folks,

I share material from a course developed by me, I hope it can help the community. The material is in Portuguese.

Link: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/cristianojs_material-te%C3%B3rico-activity-6608421528906285056-sr8E

4 2
2 182

¡Hi everybody!

As you likely are aware, the new version of InterSystems IRIS for Health (I4H) it's already available in Docker Hub. It's the Community version and is free and fully functional. There have been comments about it in other articles and posts,... so today I won't add anything about features. Here I want to explore "the mistery about the disappearance, or better, absence of our persistent data when we run a container with the durable option" (I didn't find a terrifying font to emphasize the thriller... post editor is not terrific for styling smiley ) .

2 0
2 406
Article
· Nov 26, 2019 3m read
Designing valid hierarchies in DeepSee

When designing a hierarchy in DeepSee, a child member must have only one parent member. In the case where a child corresponds to two parents, the results can become unreliable. In the case where two similar members exist, their keys must be changed so that they are unique. We will take a look at two examples to see when this happens and how to prevent it.

5 1
0 680

Currently, many of you has some knowledge about CachéQuality (which is being renamed to objectscriptQuality) for analyzing objectscript code using the rules we have predefined. Probably you have tested it and have found too many warnings in your projects. I'm sure there are issues which are really important for you and some others which you would like to dismiss.

1 0
0 237

This quick guide shows how to serve HTTPS requests with InterSystems API Management. Advantage here is that you have your certs on one separated server and you don't need to configure each backend web-server separately.

Here's how:

1. Buy the domain name.

2. Adjust DNS records from your domain to the IAM IP address.

3. Generate HTTPS certificate and private key. I use Let's Encrypt - it's free.

4. Start IAM if you didn't already.

5. Send this request to IAM:

2 2
1 516

Some time ago I developed an application that tackled a familarial problem faced by many developers when required to update multiple UAT or PRODUCTION sites with the latest Software patches that have been developed and tested on your DEV server and now need to be deployed to multiple sites running that software.

In principle the solution works as follows:

1) Prepare an XML export of affected classes/routines/csp pages/hl7 definitions et al

2) Optionally create a global export of any new globals or changes to existing globals

1 1
0 326

Hi Developers!

As discussed in previous parts of Package Manager stories to turn your IRIS application into a deployable package you just need to introduce the module.xml file into the root folder of the repository and describe all the resources.

I’m pleased to introduce you to a new project template on Open Exchange which contains examples of how to make different types of resources of your InterSystems IRIS application a part of the ObjectScript package and so make the deployable ObjectSctipt package.

Let's see how you can describe your application resources using this template project as an example.

See the details below.

4 2
7 463

In this article, I would like to talk about the spec-first approach to REST API development.

While traditional code-first REST API development goes like this:

• Writing code
  • REST-enabling it
  • Documenting it (as a REST API)

Spec-first follows the same steps but reverse. We start with a spec, also doubling as documentation, generate a boilerplate REST app from that and finally write some business logic.

This is advantageous because:

• You always have relevant and useful documentation for external or frontend developers who want to use your REST API
  • Specification created in OAS (Swagger) can be imported into a variety of tools allowing editing, client generation, API Management, Unit Testing and automation or simplification of many other tasks
  • Improved API architecture. In code-first approach, API is developed method by method so a developer can easily lose track of the overall API architecture, however with the spec-first developer is forced to interact with an API from the position if API consumer which usually helps with designing cleaner API architecture
  • Faster development - as all boilerplate code is automatically generated you won't have to write it, all that's left is developing business logic.
  • Faster feedback loops - consumers can get a view of the API immediately and they can easier offer suggestions simply by modifying the spec

Let's develop our API in a spec-first approach!

12 6
9 3K

Hi developers!

I just want to share with you the knowledge aka experience which could save you a few hours someday.

If you are building REST API with IRIS which contains more than 1 level of "/", e.g. '/patients/all' don't forget to add parameter 'recurse=1' into your deployment script in %Installer, otherwise all the second and higher entries won't work. And all the entries of level=1 will work.

/patients

- will work, but

/patients/all

- won't.

Here is an example of CSPApplicatoin section which fix the issue and which you may want to use in your %Installer class:

<CSPApplication Url="${CSPAPP}"
      Recurse="1"
      Directory="${CSPAPPDIR}"
      Grant="${RESOURCE},%SQL"
      AuthenticationMethods="96"
      />

2 0
1 226

Why log in to view pivot tables when you can have them delivered directly to your inbox? Are you in need of automated reporting for InterSystems IRIS Business Intelligence? Pivot Subscriptions is your solution: a tool for subscribing to scheduled email reports of pivot tables inside InterSystems IRIS Business Intelligence (previously known as DeepSee).

6 0
1 484

Hi Developers!

Recently we announced two new challenges on Global Masters: 'Bugs Bounty' and 'Pull Requests'.

And we are getting a lot of submits to the challenges which are not the thing we are expecting there. So I hope this post will give some shine to this quest.

'Bugs Bounty'

Ok! What are we expecting from 'Bugs bounty'?

There are a lot of Open Exchange solutions that come with public open-source repositories on Github: project and repo, another project and the repo, another one and its repo, and many more on Open Exchange.

0 0
0 287

Most of us are more or less familiar with Docker. Those who use it like it for the way it lets us easily deploy almost any application, play with it, break something and then restore the application with a simple restart of the Docker container.

5 1
4 819

The following steps show you how to display a sample list of metrics available from the /api/monitor service.

In the last post, I gave an overview of the service that exposes IRIS metrics in Prometheus format. The post shows how to set up and run IRIS preview release 2019.4 in a container and then list the metrics.

This post assumes you have Docker installed. If not, go and do that now for your platform :)

17 10
5 1.2K

Released with no formal announcement in IRIS preview release 2019.4 is the /api/monitor service exposing IRIS metrics in Prometheus format. Big news for anyone wanting to use IRIS metrics as part of their monitoring and alerting solution. The API is a component of the new IRIS System Alerting and Monitoring (SAM) solution that will be released in an upcoming version of IRIS.

11 2
7 1.8K
Article
· Nov 11, 2019 11m read
Transactions in Global InterSystems IRIS

InterSystems IRIS supports a unique data structure, called globals, for information storage. Essentially, globals are persistent arrays with multi-level indices, having several extra capabilities—transactions, quick traversal of tree structures, and a programming language known as ObjectScript.

I'd note that for the remainder of the article, or at least the code samples, we'll assume you have familiarised yourself with the basics of globals:

6 7
1 818

Hi,

It turns out that on windows if you run a command with a windows command file you need to escape the % character as %%

In my case I could test freeze and thaw calls at the command line successfully as

..\bin\cache -s. -U%SYS ##Class(Backup.General).ExternalFreeze()

...but when my freeze script ran it would fail.

it turns out that a single '%' is striped when run in a windows command file, and it must be escaped as '%%' windows gets:

1 3
0 758