Hi Developers!

Often when we install a code package we want to make some post-install settings, e.g. call to a method, set up a configuration file.

This article describes how to do this with the ObjectScript Package Manager.

To make any post-install calls you need to add <Invoke> elements into <Invokes> tag to the module.xml. Each <Invoke> element can have nested <Arg> elements if you want to pass params to the method:

2 0
1 458
Article
· Jun 25, 2020 12m read
Backport %JSON.* to Caché

Attention:

This is a coding example working on Caché 2018.1.3
It will not be kept in sync with new versions 
It is also NOT serviced by InterSystems Support !

Full backport from IRIS for Windows (x86-64) 2020.1 (Build 215U) Mon Mar 30 2020 20:14:33 EDT

IRIS brought us an excellent %JSON.Package
It is an essential component of the Project Manager (ZPM)
This backport makes it available also in Caché and builds a base to eventually backport also ZPM.

14 5
0 453
Article
· Nov 19, 2020 6m read
OCR and NLP together into InterSystems IRIS

According to IDC, more than 80% of information it is NoSQL, especially text into documents. When the digital services or applications not process all this information, the business lose. To face this challenge, it is possible use OCR technology. OCR uses machine learning and/or trained image patterns to transform image pixels into text. This is important, because many documents are scanned into images inside PDF, or many documents contains images with text inside. So OCR are an important step to get all possible data from a document.

4 3
2 450

As you probably know, InterSystems IRIS has a mechanism for auto-generating methods. So, when you create an index in a class, you create methods that make your work easier. There is also a good article on Community that describes such methods.

Take, for example, IndexNameOpen(val), where IndexName is the name of the corresponding index. This method returns an object in which the value of this index corresponds to the value of val.

But this method is available only for unique indexes.

2 0
0 447

Now the Classes/Rutines/DeepSee files will be automatically exported to the working directory after saving or compiling and files will be automatically deleted .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/B1pmqAQqd4M
[This is an embedded link, but you cannot view embedded content directly on the site because you have declined the cookies necessary to access it. To view embedded content, you would need to accept all cookies in your Cookies Settings]

Installation

To install isc-dev , you just need to download and import the file isc-dev.xml from last release.
Some ways to import isc-dev .xml file:

• Go to Management Portal -> System Explorer -> Classes -> Import and select the XML file.
  • Drag the file over Studio.
  • Terminal command:
NS>do $system.OBJ.Load("yourpath/isc-dev.xml","ck")
NS>zpm
zpm: NS>install isc-dev

How to enable this feature:

• After importing the class in the target namespace, run the following method to set up the working directory:
NS>do ##class(dev.code).workdir("/path/to/your/working/directory/src/")
  • Go to Management Portal -> System Administration -> Configuration -> Additional Settings -> Source Control.
  • Select the target namespace and set the dev.FileManExtension class as the main one and save it.
  • Try to create a new class in the studio and save/compile it
  • Enjoy!
4 4
2 445

Introduction

Despite the fact that InterSystems has long recommended using external backup tools, many users have opted to use the internal Online Backup facility, which is included in all distributions of InterSystems products (IRIS Data Platform, Caché, etc.). The reasons why are quite obvious:

11 0
2 439

Those of you who are following the FullStack competition here in the Developer Community will know that I submitted an entry named qewd-conduit. I wanted to summarise why I think it's something worth you taking a bit of time to check out.

qewd-conduit uses the Node.js-based QEWD framework alongside IRIS to implement the back-end REST APIs for something known as the RealWorld Conduit application:

https://github.com/gothinkster/realworld

5 6
1 438
Article
· Jun 18, 2020 1m read
Debugging Business Operations

Often we need to debug a Business Operation. Tracing and logging work but sometimes you want to work with a BO as with your local terminal session.

Here's how you can do that on any operating system.

Windows has a great tool for debugging Business Operations - Foreground mode. In that mode Windows launches a local terminal with operation job.

2 0
1 437

Have you ever needed a math function but could not find what you needed and ended up writing your own? Look no further! ObjectScript-Math is here to solve all your math related function needs.

ObjectScript-Math is an Open Source library for ObjectScript Math functions. It is now available on Open Exchange. This library contains a mix of new functions that are not currently available and functions that are available. The existing functions will be wrapped for use from ObjectScript-Math so that all Math functions can have a central location.

This library will continue to grow, so give it a try and give your feedback!

Don't see what you are looking for? Please feel free to submit requests for additional functions or contribute code yourself!

3 0
1 423

By default InterSystems IRIS expose your endpoints using http, but can be necessary run https from your dev env and/or get public internet access to your app. You can buy or get a certificate and config a gateway, spending many hours or use a great public service called ngrok. Follow the steps:

1 - Run your app, I will use FHIR template as sample, see:

1.1 download the app: git clone https://github.com/intersystems-community/iris-fhir-template.git

5 2
4 423
Article
· Nov 23, 2020 1m read
Iris key uploader

Introduction

This is iris-key-uploader a frontend in Angular with it's rest API.

The aim of this project is to easily import key file to Iris from a web ui.

Why this project

Unfortunatly the IRIS panel to change key doesn't give the opportunity to upload the license.

Panel

As you can see, you can only browse from the server side.

What if, you don't have a direct access to it ?

6 6
0 420

Hi ObjectScript developers!

How to Protect Your Belongings from Pests While Moving - Delicate ...

InterSystems ObjectScript is perhaps the best language on the planet to deal with globals - and it is an interpretable language.

Yes, it has a compiler. But even the compiler can compile some lines in ObjectScript which will then fire as bugs during the runtime.

There are some technics on how to avoid that such as unit testing, coding guidelines and your coding experience, of course ;)

Here I want to present to you the yet another approach to how you can reduce the number of errors in your ObjectScript runtime and enforce coding guidelines - it's an ObjectScript Quality tool developed by Lite Solutions, InterSystems solution partner.

See the details below.

4 0
0 418

This is my introduction to a series of posts explaining how to create an end-to-end Machine Learning system.

Starting with one problem

Our IRIS Development Community has several posts without tags or wrong tagged. As the posts keep growing the organization
of each tag and the experience of any community member browsing the subjects tends to decrease.

First solutions in mind

We can think some usual solutions for this scenario, like:

5 11
2 409

Making a Chart using Intersystems IRIS + Python

How to use the IRIS Native API in Python to access globals and plot some charts.

Why Python?

With a large adoption and use in the world, Python have a great community and a lot of accelerators | libraries to deploy any kind of application.
If you are curious (https://www.python.org/about/apps/)

4 1
0 402
Article
· Jan 13, 2020 1m read
Difference between while and for

While and for are pretty similar, but sometimes you need to do a not recommended thing - change cycle boundaries.

In this situation while and for are different. For calculates boundaries once per run and while calculates boundaries on every iteration.

Consider this code sample:

set x = 5
for i=1:1:x {
     write "i: ", i,", x: ", x,!
     set x = x+1
}

You'll get this output:

2 7
0 398

A few months ago, I read this interesting article from MIT Technology Review, explaing how COVID-19 pandemic are issuing challenges to IT teams worldwide regarding their machine learning (ML) systems.

Such article inspire me to think about how to deal with performance issues after a ML model was deployed.

2 2
0 398
Article
· Jun 4, 2020 2m read
CRUD-GLOBALS-IRISNATIVEAPI-JAVA

Hi All,

I am writing this article to tell about the application "CRUD-GLOBALS-IRISNATIVEAPI-JAVA" which is developed as part of "InterSystems IRIS Native API programming contest". The intention of this application is to manage the Globals which are in IRIS instance through java program using IRIS Native API. To use this application basic knowledge of CACHE Globals structure is required.

In this application as of now we have options to Create,View Globals and Data Search in Globals. Update and Delete will be added in next releases.

1 0
0 392

Earlier this year, the AppS.REST package was released. AppS.REST is a framework for easily exposing existing persistent classes in IRIS as REST resources. AppS.REST-enabled classes support CRUD operations with little effort from the developer, bridging the gap between persistent data in IRIS and data consumers, such as an Angular front end application.

But IRIS classes are much more than just a definition for loading and saving individual records! This article aims to highlight a few ways to leverage the power of IRIS in your REST applications. Using the Phone.Contact sample app, we'll look at out-of-the-box query support, use of class queries and finally ObjectScript methods.

4 6
1 390

Currently, the process of using machine learning is difficult and requires excessive consumption of data scientist services. AutoML technology was created to assist organizations in reducing this complexity and the dependence on specialized ML personnel.

AutoML allows the user to point to a data set, select the subject of interest (feature) and set the variables that affect the subject (labels). From there, the user informs the model name and then creates his predictive or data classification model based on machine learning.

4 4
5 390

Moving over from Studio To VSCode like many other will do now the ObjectScript plugin reached version 1.0, I noticed I was missing some items in the objectscript explorer. For example when creating a Rest API using the spec first approach, 3 classes are generated, an application.impl, application.disp and application.spec class, but the disp class was missing in the Object Explorer.

As the application.disp is a generated class, for showing these classes you need to turn this on by hitting the switch on the object explorer:

8 1
1 383