Keywords: Jupyter Notebook, Tensorflow GPU, Keras, Deep Learning, MLP, and HealthShare

1. Purpose and Objectives

In previous"Part I" we have set up a deep learning demo environment. In this "Part II" we will test what we could do with it.

Many people at my age had started with the classic MLP (Multi-Layer Perceptron) model. It is intuitive hence conceptually easier to start with.

1 2
3 885

The last time that I created a playground for experimenting with machine learning using Apache Spark and an InterSystems data platform, see Machine Learning with Spark and Caché, I installed and configured everything directly on my laptop: Caché, Python, Apache Spark, Java, some Hadoop libraries, to name a few. It required some effort, but eventually it worked.

8 3
7 879

Most of us are more or less familiar with Docker. Those who use it like it for the way it lets us easily deploy almost any application, play with it, break something and then restore the application with a simple restart of the Docker container.

5 1
4 826
Article
· Nov 11, 2019 11m read
Transactions in Global InterSystems IRIS

InterSystems IRIS supports a unique data structure, called globals, for information storage. Essentially, globals are persistent arrays with multi-level indices, having several extra capabilities—transactions, quick traversal of tree structures, and a programming language known as ObjectScript.

I'd note that for the remainder of the article, or at least the code samples, we'll assume you have familiarised yourself with the basics of globals:

6 7
1 826

1. Blockchain

As I am writing this article, Bitcoin costs less than one-fifth of what it used to be at the pinnacle of its success. So when I start telling someone about my blockchain experience, the first thing I hear is undisguised skepticism: "who needs this blockchain stuff now anyway?"

That's right, the blockchain hype has waned. However, the technologies it is based on are here to stay and will continue being used in particular areas.The Internet in general offer tons of materials describing the general usage of these technologies

6 4
2 820

One of the many benefits of using Atelier for your ObjectScript development is its integration with a wide range of source control systems. This integration enables you to use modern development workflows which increase collaboration while minimizing the risk inherent to volatile code bases.

Veteran ObjectScript developers can tell you about the workarounds that were needed before they could use source control systems with products like Caché and Ensemble. One of these was to treat the data store itself effectively as a code repository. And so shared development environments became essential for many of our customers to be productive and successful.

For code shops that rely on shared development environments, adopting Atelier might seem too complicated. This article aims to provide a practical example to guide your team towards success with Atelier.

You can find an overview of the problems and solutions in this article here, which is a good place to start. This article assumes that you are familiar with the concepts introduced there.

8 1
0 813

PHP, from the beginning of its time, is renowned (and criticized) for supporting integration with a lot of libraries, as well as with almost all the DB existing on the market. However, for some mysterious reasons, it did not support hierarchical databases on the globals.

Globals are structures for storing hierarchical information. They are somewhat similar to key-value database with the only difference being that the key can be multi-level:

2 1
3 811

This code snippet sends an XML request to a server and saves the response to a file. The class method "test" runs the code:

Class objectscript.postXML
{
    classmethod test() {
        Set HTTPRequest = ##class(%Net.HttpRequest).%New()
        Set HTTPRequest.ContentType = "text/xml"
        Set HTTPRequest.NoDefaultContentCharset = 1
        Set HTTPRequest.Location = "ITOMCZ"
        Set HTTPRequest.Server = "wph.foactive.com"
        Do HTTPRequest.RemoveHeader("User-Agent")  
        Do HTTPRequest.RemoveHeader("Accept-Encoding") 
        Do HTTPRequest.RemoveHeader("Connection")
        Do HTTPRequest.SetHeader("Expect","100-continue")

Set RequestXML = ##class(%Library.File).%New("c:\test.xml")
        Do RequestXML.Open("RS")
        Do HTTPRequest.EntityBody.CopyFrom(RequestXML)
        Do RequestXML.%Close()

Do HTTPRequest.Post(HTTPRequest.Location)

Do $System.OBJ.Dump(HTTPRequest)
        Do $System.OBJ.Dump(HTTPRequest.HttpResponse)

Write HTTPRequest.HttpResponse.Data.Size
        Write HTTPRequest.ContentLength

Set ResponseStream = ##class(%Stream.FileBinary).%New()
        // Second part is typically the file extension, i.e.: application/pdf -> pdf
        Set FileType = $Piece(HTTPRequest.HttpResponse.GetHeader("CONTENT-TYPE"),"/",2)
        Set ResponseStream.Filename = "C:\test."_FileType

Write ResponseStream.CopyFrom(HTTPRequest.HttpResponse.Data)

Write ResponseStream.%Save()
        Do ResponseStream.%Close()
    }
}

Here's a link to the code on GitHub

1 0
0 808
Article
· Feb 8, 2019 2m read
Client Websockets based on Node.js

It will demonstrate the wide range that is openend by making use
of the power embedded in Node.js and its adapter to Caché, Ensemble, Health,..*
Node / JavaScript have wide reputation to work as a WebSocket client.
By using the Caché adapter it becomes easy to control it and to consume the results as a
Client for WebSocket Servers and to collect the replies in Caché, Ensemble, ..

I used node-v6.16.0-x64.msi and cache610.node as cache.node

You provide a Global for input:

14 0
1 794

Headache-free stored objects: a simple example of working with InterSystems Caché objects in ObjectScript and Python

Neuschwanstein Castle

Tabular data storages based on what is formally known as the relational data model will be celebrating their 50th anniversary in June 2020. Here is an official document – that very famous article. Many thanks for it to Doctor Edgar Frank Codd. By the way, the relational data model is on the list of the most important global innovations of the past 100 years published by Forbes.

On the other hand, oddly enough, Codd viewed relational databases and SQL as a distorted implementation of his theory. For general guidance, he created 12 rules that any relational database management system must comply with (there are actually 13 rules). Honestly speaking, there is zero DBMS's on the market that observes at least Rule 0. Therefore, no one can call their DBMS 100% relational :) If you know any exceptions, please let me know.

4 0
3 793

Hi Developers!

InterSystems Package Manager (ZPM) is a great thing, but it is even better if you don't need to install it but can use immediately.

There are several ways how to do this and here is one approach of having IRIS container with ZPM built with dockerfile.

I've prepared a repository which has a few lines in dockerfile which perform the download and install the latest version of ZPM.

Add these lines to your standard dockerfile for IRIS community edition and you will have ZPM installed and ready to use.

To download the latest ZPM client:

2 1
1 788

InterSystems API Management (IAM) - a new feature of the InterSystems IRIS Data Platform, enables you to monitor, control and govern traffic to and from web-based APIs within your IT infrastructure. In case you missed it, here is the link to the announcement. And here's an article explaining how to start working with IAM.

In this article, we would use InterSystems API Management to Load Balance an API.

In our case, we have 2 InterSystems IRIS instances with /api/atelier REST API that we want to publish for our clients.

There are many different reasons why we might want to do that, such as:

• Load balancing to spread the workload across servers
  • Blue-green deployment: we have two servers, one "prod", other "dev" and we might want to switch between them
  • Canary deployment: we might publish the new version only on one server and move 1% of clients there
  • High availability configuration
  • etc.
7 3
4 777

1. Purpose

This is a 10-minute simple step-by-step guide on how to quickly set up various flavors of HealthShare docker containers from scratch on a Win10 laptop.

For example, we can build a couple of HealthShare "global edition vs UK Edition" demos as shown below.

There are a couple of frequently asked questions from HealthShare colleagues and partners:

2 3
2 773
Article
· Mar 15, 2019 2m read
Tar compress tool in ObjectScript

I'm sure most of you have already familiar with the possibility of using GZIP in InterSystems products. But, the problem is that GZIP working only with one file or stream, and it does not support folders. When you work in Unix systems, there is a possibility how to solve it, using tar compress tool which goes with every Linux system from out of the box. But what to do if you have work on Windows as well, which does not have it.

I am pleased to offer you my new project isc-tar, which will help you do not care about operating system, and deal with tar files anywhere.

6 1
4 767

Hi,

It turns out that on windows if you run a command with a windows command file you need to escape the % character as %%

In my case I could test freeze and thaw calls at the command line successfully as

..\bin\cache -s. -U%SYS ##Class(Backup.General).ExternalFreeze()

...but when my freeze script ran it would fail.

it turns out that a single '%' is striped when run in a windows command file, and it must be escaped as '%%' windows gets:

1 3
0 766
Article
· Apr 1, 2019 3m read
Closures in ObjectScript

After many sleepless nights it's a pleasure to announce the newer, better, moderner ObjectScript compiler which implemented pretty much everything you ever wanted to have in modern ObjectScript:

• Design objective of this new compiler is to parse reasonable subset of current ObjectScript syntax which will look readable for stranger, and not scare them with 1 letter syntax. The good start for compiler was the old-good COS Guidelines from here https://github.com/intersystems-ru/cos-guidelines
  • For reasons we mentioned above we do not parse 1 letter syntax. It's declared evil;
  • We do not handle dotted syntax for the same reason - modern syntax with {} is proper replacement for dotted syntax blocks;

But we not only parse the modern ObjectScript syntax, we have implemented finally the long-standing request which we always dreamed about. Closures!

9 9
3 729
Article
· Jun 10, 2019 2m read
GitHub now supports ObjectScript

Hey developers,

I have great news for you. A few days ago, GitHub was updated with the latest version of linguist project, which is being used to recognize source code types in repositories. It helps to determine which programming language had been used in every file of the repository. Repository statistics section shows the results of this module work.

Also, you can search across all available GitHub repositories for any chosen language.

6 3
1 716
Article
· Nov 26, 2019 3m read
Designing valid hierarchies in DeepSee

When designing a hierarchy in DeepSee, a child member must have only one parent member. In the case where a child corresponds to two parents, the results can become unreliable. In the case where two similar members exist, their keys must be changed so that they are unique. We will take a look at two examples to see when this happens and how to prevent it.

5 1
0 698

Hi Developers!

When you prepare your modules for ZPM (InterSystems Package Manager) it expects the certain directory structure for ObjectScript source files.

ObjectScript in your source folder need to be stored by types in the following subfolders. E.g. if you have the source folder named as /src the structure should be as follows:

/src

/cls - for classes

/inc - for include files

/mac - for mac files

/int - for interpretable files

2 0
1 689
Article
· Oct 23, 2019 2m read
Unit Tests for Data Transforms

Would you like to be sure your data transforms work as expected with a single command? And what about writing unit tests for your data transforms in a quick and simple way?

When talking about interoperability, there are usually a lot of data transforms involved. Those data transforms are used to convert data between different systems or applications in your code, so they are running a very important job.

4 2
1 677
Article
· Jun 4, 2019 1m read
Favourite editor for programming

There are many projects which work on InterSystems products, and they are not always written only in ObjectScript. I think some of you working with different programming languages and already have some experience with other editors, and hope you already have a favourite online editor.

My current choice is VSCode, whereas you may already know I have added an extension to support ObjectScript.

1 8
0 672

Hello

I made for fun a bash script that creates csv files from a %GOGEN exported file.
%GOGEN, the utility for exporting globals for Cache 5.xx

First I thought it would be very simply with bash, but ...
- if I want a header in the csv file
- if you export with GOGEN more globals together not only one
- if I want a csv file for every global/indexes has the global ..

The simply bash script goes up 100 lines of code. If I will start again with this, I would use Python or Go, not bash.

Example:

For a EXPORTED.GLO file

0 5
0 664
Article
· Jul 31, 2019 2m read
Anti CSRF Methods

IRIS provides us with anti login CSRF attack mitigation, however this is not the same as a CSRF attack, as login attacks only occur on the login form. There are currently no built-in tools to mitigate CSRF attacks on api calls and other forms, so this is a step in mitigating these attacks.

See the following link from OWASP for the definition of a CSRF attack:

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cross-Site_Request_Forgery_(CSRF)

4 5
1 636