Hello!

This article is a small overview of a tool that helps to understand classes and their structure inside the InterSystems products: from IRIS to Caché, Ensemble, HealthShare.

In short, it visualizes a class or an entire package, shows the relations between classes and provides all the possible information to developers and team leads without making them go to Studio and examine the code there.

If you are learning InterSystems products, reviewing projects a lot or just interested in something new in InterSystems Technology solutions — you are more than welcome to read the overview of ObjectScript Class Explorer!

Last comment 2 hours 10 min ago
+ 17   1 12

views

+ 17

rating

Can I connect to Cache using SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and view schemas and build queries as I do for SQL Server?

If yes, step-by-step instructions for setting up the connection would be greatly appreciated.

I googled the topic but didn't find any results that were on target.

Thanks,

Christian Bahnsen

Last answer 16 June 2016 Last comment 2 days ago
0   0 6

views

rating

In this article I'll describe how to set up web services and/or REST services using EWD 3.

Since EWD 3 is designed to be modular, you can construct the environment that exactly meets your needs, but for much of the time you'll probably find that the pre-built EWD 3 ewd-xpress super-module does most of what you need because it hooks together all the core EWD 3 and other building-blocks you'll need:

+ 4   1 3

views

+ 4

rating

The topic of for/while loop performance in Caché ObjectScript came up in discussion recently, and I'd like to share some thoughts/best practices with the rest of the community. While this is a basic topic in itself, it's easy to overlook the performance implications of otherwise-reasonable approaches.

Last comment 7 days ago
+ 19   1 13

views

+ 19

rating

The select query here "select Settings from Ens_Config.Item" in the SQL Query of management portal returns this: 

ValidationHost 7ActOnTransformErrorHost1 ReplyCodeActionsHostE=D AlertOnErrorHost1 9 AlertGroupsHost$LabAlertGroup,1-CriticalAlertGroup BusinessPartnerHost

How do I isolate just one of the settings e.g. ReplyCodeActions or LocalInterface

For example, i want to search for all entries that have  a value for ReplyCodeActions

I realize i can open the production in studio and search for those setting values.

Last answer 12 November 2016 Last comment 10 days ago
0   0 2

views

rating

Presenter: Dan Kutac
Task: Use a common login identity and a central mechanism of authentication across environments from multiple entities
Approach: Provide examples and code samples of an application environment using OpenID Connect and OAuth 2.0

Description: In this session we will demonstrate an application environment using OpenID Connect and OAuth 2.0. Hear how this is done and what options you have; and yes, you get to keep the code.

Problem: How to use a a common login identity (e.g. Facebook credentials) and a central mechanism of authorization cross environments from multiple entities.

Solution: Create awareness and interest in using OAuth 2.0

Content related to this session, including slides, video and additional learning content can be found here.

Last comment 4 July 2019
0   0 3

views

rating

1.About this article

Just like Caché pattern matching, Regular Expressions can be used in Caché to identify patterns in text data – only with a much higher expressive power. This article provides a brief introduction into Regular Expressions and what you can do with it in Caché. The information provided herein is based on various sources, most notably the book “Mastering Regular Expressions” by Jeffrey Friedl and of course the Caché online documentation. The article is not intended to discuss all the possibilities and details of regular expressions. Please refer to the information sources listed in chapter 5 if you would like to learn more. If you prefer to read off-line you can also download the PDF version of this article.

Last comment 17 June 2019
+ 15   3 9

views

+ 15

rating

Caché process failures on RHEL V7.2

InterSystems WRC has investigated several issues of process failure that can be attributed to a recent change in Red Hat Linux.

A new feature implemented in RHEL V7.2 (systemd-219-19.el7.x86_64) can cause O.S. IPC (Inter-process communication) semaphores to be deallocated when a non-system RHEL user logs out (system users, i.e. with a UID number < 1000, are excluded)

Last comment 13 June 2019
+ 3   0 2

views

+ 3

rating

This article, and following two articles of the series, is intended as a user guide for developers or system administrators, who need to work with OAuth 2.0 framework (further referred to as OAUTH for simplicity) in their InterSystems product based applications.

Last comment 26 May 2019
+ 12   2 5

views

+ 12

rating

Have some free text fields in your application that you wish you could search efficiently?  Tried using some methods before but found out that they just cannot match the performance needs of your customers?  Do I have one weird trick that will solve all your problems?  Don’t you already know!?  All I do is bring great solutions to your performance pitfalls!

As usual, if you want the TL;DR (too long; didn’t read) version, skip to the end.  Just know you are hurting my feelings.

Last comment 10 May 2019
+ 19   1 3

views

+ 19

rating

Has anyone tried the new Activity Volume Statistics and Monitoring  in Ensembel 2016.1? I would love to get some feedback.

If you haven't read about this, there is a dashboard that provides counts and response times for messages sent and received by each configuration item. Alternatively the underlying data is arranged in tables that should make it easy for you to use your favorite SQL reporting tools to generate reports for short term performance monitoring or longer term capacity planning.

Dave

Last comment 25 April 2019
0   2 4

views

rating

InterSystems Caché globals provide very convenient features for developers. But why are globals so fast and efficient?

Theory

Basically, the Caché database is a catalog having the same name as the database and containing the CACHE.DAT file. On Unix systems, the database can also be an ordinary disk partition.

Last comment 27 March 2019
+ 8   3 9

views

+ 8

rating

Starting with 2017.1, InterSystems is adding Ubuntu (64-bit) as a third linux server platform. Prior to 2017.1 Ubuntu was already available as a development platform and customers could use InterSystems distributions build for SUSE to run on Ubuntu. As a result there are a few license key implications for 64-bit linux versions starting with Caché and Ensemble 2017.1:

a) Customers using RedHat will observe no changes

b) Customers using InterSystems products(1) for SUSE on SUSE will need new license keys (no charge)

+ 9   0 9

views

+ 9

rating

A quick start guide to connect Ensemble to RabbitMQ using the RabbitMQ Java Client, a Java proxy class and the Ensemble Java Gateway.

Word and PDF documentation, source code and utilities available at https://github.com/toncat/ensemble2rabbitmq.

Software Versions

Server
- Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
- Erlang OTP 19.1
- RabbitMQ Server 3.6.5
- RabbitMQ Java Client 3.6.5

Last comment 4 March 2019
+ 1   0 2

views

+ 1

rating

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to convert my team to a Git-based workflow for source code version management (we use Ensemble and HealthShare, but build a lot of customizations on top). We are having a hard time working with Atelier in this regard for a few reasons:

Last answer 3 May 2016 Last comment 29 January 2019
+ 2   0 1

views

+ 2

rating

Intro

Please note, this article is considered deprecated, check out the new revision over here: https://community.intersystems.com/post/tutorial-websockets

The goal of this post is to discuss working with Websockets in a Caché environment. We are going to have a quick discussion of what websockets are and then talk through an example chat application implemented on top of Websockets.

Last comment 28 January 2019
+ 12   4 19

views

+ 12

rating

This is a posting about a particular feature of Caché which I find useful but is probably not well known or used. I am referring to the feature of Language Extensions.

This feature allows you to extend the commands, special variables and functions available in Caché Object Script with commands, special variables and functions of your own. This functionality also applies to other languages the Caché supports at the server, including Caché Basic and Multivalue Basic.  

Why would I need or want to add new commands ?

Last comment 11 January 2019
+ 10   1 8

views

+ 10

rating

This post is intended to guide you through the new JSON capabilities that we introduced in Caché 2016.1. JSON has emerged to a serialization format used in many places. The web started it, but nowadays it is utilized everywhere. We've got plenty to cover, so let's get started.

Last comment 11 January 2019
+ 32   1 33

views

+ 32

rating

As we all know, Caché is a great database that accomplishes lots of tasks within itself. However, what do you do when you need to access an external database? One way is to use the Caché SQL Gateway via JDBC. In this article, my goal is to answer the following questions to help you familiarize yourself with the technology and debug some common problems.

Last comment 28 December 2018
+ 8   2 4

views

+ 8

rating

A customer is using Caché online backups and needs to automatically purge the cbk files with a scheduled task.

This is a wheel has been reinvented uncountable times already and I know somebody out there has a well written, extremely robust version that has already stood the test of time.

Does anyone have a nice routine/class/task for purging old Caché backup files? 

Last answer 18 December 2018 Last comment 1 July 2016
0   1 2

views

rating

Mirroring 101

Caché mirroring is a reliable, inexpensive, and easy to implement high availability and disaster recovery solution for Caché and Ensemble-based applications. Mirroring provides automatic failover under a broad range of planned and unplanned outage scenarios, with application recovery time typically limited to seconds. Logical data replication eliminates storage as a single point of failure and a source of data corruption. Upgrades can be executed with little or no downtime.

Last comment 8 December 2018
+ 7   2 10

views

+ 7

rating

I have just imported our Ensemble project (not a really big one, like two man-years) into my MacBook Air  Ensemble 2016.3 instance to test many things (document model, etc.), Atelier among the others.

The "Production view" is not here, and I miss it.

The opening of Diagram Editor for BP is pretty hidden. I would even like having a switch, which would default to the Diagram Editor. 

Anytime I click on the Open Diagram Editor, it waits for a while, ten produces an error and only then I can see the diagram.

Last answer 6 December 2018
+ 1   0 3

comments

views

+ 1

rating