InterSystems Developer Community is a community of 19,137 amazing developers
We're a place where InterSystems IRIS programmers learn and share, stay up-to-date, grow together and have fun!
Article
· Aug 2, 2022 8m read
Data models in InterSystems IRIS

Before we start talking about databases and different data models that exist, first we'd better talk about what a database is and how to use it.

A database is an organized collection of data stored and accessed electronically. It is used to store and retrieve structured, semi-structured, or raw data which is often related to a theme or activity.

At the heart of every database lies at least one model used to describe its data. And depending on the model it is based on, a database may have slightly different characteristics and store different types of data.

To write, retrieve, modify, sort, transform or print the information from the database, a software called Database Management System (DBMS) is used.

The size, capacity, and performance of databases and their respective DBMS have increased by several orders of magnitude. It has been made possible by technological advances in various areas, such as processors, computer memory, computer storage, and computer networks. In general, the development of database technology can be divided into four generations based on the data models or structure: navigational, relational, object and post-relational.

16 5
4 1.6K
Article
· Jan 12, 2022 12m read
JSON Schema applied to InterSystems IRIS

The JSON is a data document free of types and validation rules. However, in some scenarios it is important that the JSON document has type and business rules validation, especially in interoperability scenarios. This article demonstrates how you can leverage a market-defined JSONSchema technology that is open for everyone to use and do advanced validations.

8 3
2 1K

Overview

We often run into connectivity problems with HealthShare (HS) deployments in Microsoft Azure that have multiple HealthShare components (instances or namespaces) installed on the same VM, especially when needing to communicate to other HS components while using the Azure Load Balancer (ILB) to provide mirror VIP functionality. Details on how and why a load balancer is used with database mirroring can be found this community article.

6 1
1 770
Article
· Mar 30, 2022 9m read
3DES support

There are several ways of classifying cryptographic algorithms: 1) Secret Key Cryptography (SKC) - Uses a single key for both encryption and decryption. It is also called symmetric encryption. Primarily, it was used for privacy and confidentiality; 2) Public Key Cryptography (PKC) - Uses one key for encryption and another one for decryption. It is also called asymmetric encryption.

4 6
1 325
   _________ ___ ____  
  |__  /  _ \_ _|  _ \ 
    / /| |_) | || |_) |
   / /_|  __/| ||  __/ 
  /____|_|  |___|_|    

Starting in version 2021.1, InterSystems IRIS began shipping with a python runtime in the engine's kernel. However, there was no way to install packages from within the instance. The main draw of python is its enormous package ecosystem. With that in mind, I introduce my side project zpip, a pip wrapper that is callable from the iris terminal.

6 6
1 610
Article
· Oct 11, 2022 2m read
ZPM Simple Implementation Cookbook

ZPM is designed to work with applications and modules for InterSystems IRIS Data Platform. It consists of two components, the ZPN Client which is a CLI to manage modules, and The Registry which is a database of modules and meta-information. We can use ZPM to search, install, upgrade, remove and publish modules. With ZPM you can install ObjectScript classes, Frontend applications, Interoperability productions, IRIS BI solutions, IRIS Datasets or any files such as Embedded Python wheels.

Today this cookbook will go through 3 sections:

19 10
10 936

Hi folks!

How can I refer to a classmethod of the same class while coding another classmethod with Embedded python?

I know that I can call it with iris.cls(classname).MethodName(), but it's more cumbersome even comparing with ObjectScript, where I can call ..MethodName().

Compare ObjectScript:

do ..SetupGame()

and the same call in EmbeddedPython:

iris.cls('eshvarov.sample.SeaBattle.GamePython').SetupGame()

Thoughts?

0 6
0 273

Is there a reason why calling %ExecDirect() (or %Execute) won't set the %SQLCODE of the result set to 100 even when the query returns no data?

Here is the code in question with a bit of contrivance to force the issue:

set statement = ##class(%SQL.Statement).%New()
set result = ##class(%SQL.Statement).%ExecDirect(statement,"select top 0 0 from Example.Testing")
w result.%SQLCODE

The %SQLCODE is set to 0 in this case. The same happens if I use %Prepare and %Execute, e.g.

1 8
0 524

On this GitHub you can find all the information on how to use a HuggingFace machine learning / AI model on the IRIS Framework using python.

1. iris-huggingface

Usage of Machine Learning models in IRIS using Python; For text-to-text, text-to-image or image-to-image models.

6 5
1 596
Question
· Jul 14, 2022
Clone Class

Hi Guys,

How can I create a clone class so I can keep a copy of all records in that clone class?

Basically, I have a class where sometime records might be delete from it, so I would like to create clone class or merge the global content in another backup global so that records can be deleted from the original class but still have a copy of those delete records in my clone or backup global ?

Thanks

0 5
0 359
Article
· Aug 25, 2022 8m read
Transform custom healthcare messages to SDA

EHR (Electronic Health Record) systems are modeled in a proprietary format/structure and are not based on market models such as FHIR or HL7. Some of these systems can interoperate data in a proprietary format for FHIR and other market models, but others can not. InterSystems has two platforms that can interoperate proprietary formats for market ones: InterSystems HealthShare Connect and InterSystems IRIS for Health.

8 1
5 868

Hi Devs!

For me, one of the most painful things about ObjectScript is ##class(Class).Method() typing to call a class method in code or in a terminal. I even submitted an idea to simplify it in ObjectScript.

But! There is a new feature in VSCode ObjectScript that was just introduced to the plugin - Copy Invocation!

10 7
2 606
Article
· Sep 13, 2022 8m read
CI/CD with IRIS SQL

In the vast and varied SQL database market, InterSystems IRIS stands out as a platform that goes way beyond just SQL, offering a seamless multimodel experience and supporting a rich set of development paradigms. Especially the advanced Object-Relational engine has helped organizations use the best-fit development approach for each facet of their data-intensive workloads, for example ingesting data through Objects and simultaneously querying it through SQL. Persistent Classes correspond to SQL tables, their properties to table columns and business logic is easily accessed using User-Defined Functions or Stored Procedures. In this article, we'll zoom in on a little bit of the magic just below the surface, and discuss how it may affect your development and deployment practices. This is an area of the product where we have plans to evolve and improve, so please don't hesitate to share your views and experiences using the comments section below.

11 6
0 843
Article
· May 22, 2022 1m read
Debugging Trick with SQL

I'm sure you have met this situation:

• There is a bug in a System that you can't reproduce yourself locally
  • You need to run a few lines in the affected instance
  • You get full access to System Management Portal
  • But there is just no terminal, nor console, nor access with Studio, Atelier or VSCode
  • How to run your few lines for testing ???

19 3
5 916

If you are using Python, you can use the built-in venv module to create a virtual environment. This module is the recommended way to create and manage virtual environments.

A virtual environment is a tool that helps to keep dependencies required by different projects separate by creating isolated python virtual environments for them. It solves the “Project X depends on version 1.x but, Project Y needs 4.x” dilemma, and keeps your global site-packages directory clean and manageable.

So if like me you work a lot with Python, you can use the venv module to create a virtual environment for your project. This will allow you to install packages without affecting the global Python installation.

You will find here two neat alias to create and activate a virtual environment.

Python aliases

alias venv="python3 -m venv .venv; source .venv/bin/activate"
alias irisvenv="python3 -m venv .venv; source .venv/bin/activate; pip install https://github.com/grongierisc/iris-embedded-python-wrapper/releases/download/v0.0.3/iris-0.0.3-py3-none-any.whl"

9 3
2 1.4K