Article
· Feb 19, 2016 4m read
Why Atelier? And what about Studio?

I have been meaning to make a post about this topic for a few weeks and the other day an issue came in through the WRC about it so it seems this is a conversation we should be having. I want to begin by taking a few moments to explain "Why Atelier" then we can talk about what this means in the general sense for Studio and Atelier and Caché developers. We have wrestled with what to do with Studio for years. When I moved to Product Management in 2008 this was already a "thing". At the time we could not reach a consensus. Some felt Studio was fine as is.

9 2
0 3.6K
InterSystems Developer Community is a community of 17,807 amazing developers
We're a place where InterSystems IRIS programmers learn and share, stay up-to-date, grow together and have fun!
Article
· May 25, 2016 5m read
Random Read IO Storage Performance Tool

New Tool Available

Please see PerfTools IO Test Suite for a later version of the Random Read IO tool.

Purpose

This tool is used to generate random read Input/Output (IO) from within the database. The goal of this tool is to drive as many jobs as possible to achieve target IOPS and ensure acceptable disk response times are sustained. Results gathered from the IO tests will vary from configuration to configuration based on the IO sub-system. Before running these tests ensure corresponding operating system and storage level monitoring are configured to capture IO performance metrics for later analysis.

14 17
2 3.5K
Article
· Nov 9, 2016 5m read
How the Ensemble Scheduler Works

The Ensemble Scheduler is used for automatically turning on and off business hosts at certain dates and times. You could use it if, for example, you wanted to only run a business host from 9am to 5pm every day. Conversely, if you want do to trigger an event to occurr at a specific time, for example, a job running at 1am to batch up and send off all the previous day's transactions in one file, we recommend other methods such as the Task Manager.

8 5
3 3.4K

Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) solutions have been gaining traction for the last few years with the number of deployments now increasing rapidly. IT decision makers are considering HCI when scoping new deployments or hardware refreshes especially for applications already virtualised on VMware. Reasons for choosing HCI include; dealing with a single vendor, validated interoperability between all hardware and software components, high performance especially IO, simple scalability by addition of hosts, simplified deployment and simplified management.

9 7
1 3.4K

I cannot connect to Cache from node.js

I have installed in Windows 10 the following: CACHE 2016, node.js v 4.4.7 and express .

- where can I get cache.node? The link in the Intersystmes documentation http://globalsdb.org/downloads/ doesn't work. I found cache0100.node and cache0120.node in my Cache instance's \bin directory. But I am not sure if I can use them or not.

- how to install cache.node ? Where do I place it exactly?

Can anyone recommend any tutorial or code example with installation instructions?

1 12
1 3.4K

Hello,

When we need to create a utf-8 encoded XML file, we use the Charset property of %XML.Writer:

set writer=##class(%XML.Writer).%New()
set writer.Charset="UTF-8"

How can we create regular txt files with such encoding?

Our Cache Installations are 8 bit and not unicode.

Thanks,

Nael Naser eldeen

0 10
1 3.3K

Two fairly common requests we receive from HL7 customers are (1) how to remove all trailing delimiters for fields and segments in HL7 messages and (2) how to "find and replace" for an entire HL7 message (as opposed to one segment/field at a time). The code sample below shows a custom function that solves for item 1 and by extension item 2 above. In other words the same approach can be used for finding/replacing any sequence of chars in an entire HL7 message, with some tweaks to the custom function.

7 6
0 3.3K

I'll be doing my first xml transform soon and I'm hoping to find a good graphical mapping tool to generate the XSLT. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've tried the demo of Altova MapForce and it's exactly what I want but it's super expensive. Working for a non-profit it would be nice if I could find a free or cheap solution.

0 5
0 3.1K

I was curious if application partners were developing their own task managers for scheduling background tasks, or using the built in task schedule that is part of the Cache platform.

For those that are using the Cache task manager, what has been your method for distributing default tasks that your application needs during initial install as well as upgrades? Are you distributing an export of the %SYS.Task object, or perhaps you are distributing an installation script that adds a task to the task scheduler when it is first run?

0 3
0 3K

Hi!

Want to share with you code snippet of try catch block I usually use in methods which should return %Status.

{ 
 try {
  	$$$TOE(sc,StatusMethod())
 }
 catch e {
 	set sc=e.AsStatus()
 	do e.Log()
 }

Quit sc 
}

Here $$$TOE is a short form of $$$TROWONERROR macro.

Inside macro StatusMethod is any method you call which will return %Status value. This value will be placed into sc variable.

5 21
2 3K

As a developer, you have probably spent at least some time writing repetetive code. You may have even found yourself wishing you could generate the code programmatically. If this sounds familiar, this article is for you!

We'll start with an example. Note: the following examples use the %DynamicObject interface, which requires Caché 2016.2 or later. If you are unfamiliar with this class, check out the documentation here: Using JSON in Caché. It's really cool!

20 2
3 3K
Article
· Oct 12, 2016 12m read
RESTful API

Beginner’s guide to RESTful Application Program Interface (API) design and documentation. Through the example you will learn some common pattern for RESTful API.

Before you read

You need to know

3 0
0 3K

For testing purposes, I would like to create an EnsLib.HL7.Message from either a %String or a file on disk and pass it into a function in a unit test (outside of an Ensemble context). EnsLib.HL7.Parser appears to do the necessary parsing, but it also sends the message via Ensemble service rather than returning it as a value. Is there a way to leverage the parsing outside of a Ensemble service? Alternatively, is there another way to create an EnsLib.HL7.Message?

1 4
0 3K

One of the great availability and scaling features of Caché is Enterprise Cache Protocol (ECP). With consideration during application development distributed processing using ECP allows a scale out architecture for Caché applications. Application processing can scale to very high rates from a single application server to the processing power of up to 255 application servers with no application changes.

9 6
2 2.9K

Checking if Directory or File Exists:

Outlined below is an example of how to check if a directory exists:

Set directoryName="c:\temp\nosuchdir"

/* Check for existence of a directory - Return Value:  0 - directory does not exist;  1 - directory does exist  */

Set directoryExists=##class(%File).DirectoryExists(directoryName)

If ('directoryExists)  // do the processing for when a directory does not exist

Outlined below is an example of how to check if a file exists:

3 1
0 2.8K

Problem:

Caché prints to printers in a manner somewhat different from other Windows applications. Caché sends the data directly to the GDI Printer, without the usual interface. This is because the GUI interface can only be shown on a system desktop session and not in web browser and terminal sessions. Some printer drivers have problems with this method of printing.

Is this the problem you are having?

4 3
2 2.8K

With the release of Cache 2016.1, JSON support was re-architected and made part of the core object model with the creation of %Object and %Array classes, which allow you to create dynamic JSON enabled objects and arrays.

On a recent demonstration I was working on, I had the need to create a REST web service that returned a JSON representation of a persistent object. After searching for methods that would allow me to accomplish this, ultimately I found none, until now.

3 20
0 2.7K
Article
· Aug 5, 2016 8m read
HealthShare's new SDA extensions

Creating and working with the new SDA extensions for storage of custom data elements

In HSCore 15.01, there is a new way to store custom data elements. HealthShare now had the ability to use custom extensions on many SDA elements.

This article will:

1. Show how to set up your system to use SDA extensions
  2. Create a new SDA extension property
  3. Use the new SDA extension property in HL7 transactions
  4. Interact with the new data
  5. Show new SDA extension used in a customization of Patient Summary Report

8 2
0 2.7K

The release of IBM POWER 8 processors with AIX 7.1 introduced up to 8 SMT threads per processor core (logical or physical). Which SMT level (1, 2, 4, or 8) to use can be confusing and varies based on multiple factors. This article is meant to help with a starting point for your specific application.

Firstly, if running on a version of 2014.x or older, it is advised to use SMT 4 or lower. SMT 8 with those older versions of Cache' has shown a decline in performance and scaling in benchmarking applications.

4 3
0 2.7K