The object and relational data models of the Caché database support three types of indexes, which are standard, bitmap, and bitslice. In addition to these three native types, developers can declare their own custom types of indexes and use them in any classes since version 2013.1. For example, iFind text indexes use that mechanism.

12 1
1 2K

Let's say I open a stream/file.

If it's not in UTF8 i need to call $ZCVT, and if it's already in UTF8, then I don't need to call $ZCVT.

Is there any way to determine character encoding for input stream/file?

0 4
0 2K

The Art of Mapping Globals to Classes (4 of 3)

The forth in the trilogy, anyone a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fan?

If you are looking to breathe new life into an old MUMPS application follow these steps to map your globals to classes and expose all that beautiful data to Objects and SQL.

If the above does not sound familiar to you please start at the beginning with the following:

The Art of Mapping Globals to Classes (1 of 3)

5 7
0 2K
Article
· Sep 22, 2016 3m read
Windows write caching

(This article was reviewed in February 2021. It is still relevant to Caché-based installations and similarly applies to IRIS-based installations.)

This article discusses the Windows write caching setting which can leave systems vulnerable to data loss or corruption in the event of power loss or operating system crash. The setting is on by default in some Windows configurations.

10 4
1 2K

Hi,

We recently updated Ensemble, on our Unix DEV server , from version 2013.x to 2015.2.3 (Build 855U) and when we test our SSL/TLS configuration we get the following error:

ERROR #729: Certificate /qmd/ens_chldev_1/mgr/SILCert/SILCSSSJR-CER.cer is not valid for TLS Web client authentication .

The certificate was working fine before the update in DEV and it is working fine in our PROD Unix server with Ensemble 2012.x. Any ideas why we are getting this error?

1 5
0 2K

This text is a continuation of my article where I explained the structure a Caché database. In this article, I described the types of blocks, connections between them and their relation to globals. The article was purely theoretical. I made a project that helps visualize the block tree - and this article will explain how it works in great detail.

8 3
1 1.9K

Hello community!

At the global summit in Phoenix, we (Lite Solutions) will be presenting a tool performing static code analysis on ObjectScript source files. You can see it in action at this URL:

https://demo.cachequality.com

Technically, the tool is a language plugin over SonarQube (http://sonarqube.org) and consists of three main parts:

5 6
1 1.8K

I cant find any description on how to read custom http request headers in a REST service.

On some occations i want to read http headers passed along when customers uses our REST API or headers added by the CND provider. Does anyone know how to read these http headers?

For example:
cloudflair.com sends a vistors country information along to the server using a customer http header called "CF-IPCountry". We would like to read this information and use it for statistics.

0 3
0 1.8K

It has been noticed that some customers running JAVA programs (for example, FOP) on AIX would see the server eventually running low then out of memory. Customer would notice the system pages heavily and user experience becomes bad. And the server would crash when out of memory.

When the problem happens, we can see in ipcs a lot of shared memory segment marked for deletion (Capital D at the beginning of MODE section). This means they will not disappear until the last process attached to the segment detaches it.

5 0
1 1.8K
Article
· Nov 8, 2016 4m read
Returning Disk Space to File Systems

This is the first article in a series discussing how to regain disk space from Caché databases at the operating system level. This introductory article discusses Caché database growth and gives an overview of various methods you can use to return unused disk space that is allocated to database files back to the file system. But before we talk about returning space to the file system, let’s first review how does it get allocated in the first place.

7 0
0 1.8K
Question
· Sep 9, 2016
Trimming...

Hello, guys.

I found one interesting moment in Cache Object Script. It doesn't have(or at least I didn't find) trimming function. By trimming I mean if a string has some whitespaces/tabs/carriage returns from very beginning or/and from very right, this function removes them.

I have found several workaround ways.

1. Using Cache Basic

1 6
0 1.8K

C:\data\backup.bat :

C:\InterSystems\Ensemble\bin\cache -s"C:\InterSystems\Ensemble\Mgr" -U%%SYS ##Class(Backup.General).ExternalFreeze() <C:\data\login.scr

echo %ERRORLEVEL%

rem note that we need to check errorlevel from highest to lowest here....

if errorlevel 5 goto OK

2 0
0 1.8K
Question
· Oct 10, 2016
Restarting Cache from inside

Dear colleagues,

a recent project came up with the question if it is possible to "restart Cache from inside", ie. using a COS-routine.

Thank you in advance and regdards

Markus

1 5
0 1.8K
Article
· Nov 17, 2016 11m read
ECP and Process Management API

The technology of load balancing between several servers with relatively low capacity has been a standard feature of Caché for quite a while. It is based on the distributed cache technology called ECP (Enterprise Cache Protocol). ECP provides a host of possibilities for horizontal scaling of an application, and yet keeping the project budget fairly low. Another apparent advantage of ECP network is the possibility to conceal its architecture in the depths of Caché configuration so that applications developed for the traditional (vertical) architecture can be fairly easily migrated to a horizontal ECP environment. The ease of this process is so mesmerizing, that you start wishing it was always this way. For instance, everybody is used to having a possibility to control Caché processes: the $Job system variable and associated classes/functions work magic in skilful hands. Stop, but now processes can end up being on different Caché servers…

This article is about how to gain as much transparency in controlling processes in ECP environment as in traditional (non ECP) one.

4 6
0 1.8K

How are we doing THIS year versus the same period LAST year?
This is a common need in Business Intelligence. In fact, many design specifications for reports make use of a comparison between a selected period (year, quarter, etc) up to a certain date (for example November 15th, 2016) and a summary of the same information for the previous year (i.e. up to November 15th, 2015).
This post shows how to implement this in DeepSee.

6 8
0 1.7K