Discussion
Olga Zavrazhnova · Dec 10, 2020

Ideas for New Applications: What to Develop in 2021?

Hi Community, 

We've launched a nice competition on Global Masters under the "Season of Giving" campaign, which I hope will bring inspiration to all of you!

We inviting you to share your task ideas for new applications that could be developed on InterSystems Technology. Let's enrich our Open Exchange apps gallery with great applications in 2021!

On December 28 2020 our expert jury will choose the author of the best idea/ideas. The winner will get this beautiful prize: Personalized Leather Wallet (with the winner's name on the front and InterSystems logo inside. Handmade work and worldwide shipping! 😉

How to take part? Easy! 
📍Submit your ideas in the comments to this post before December 25, 2020!

Global Masters profile is not required, but you are always welcome to join the program (log in using the "InterSystems login" button and your Developer Community credentials), get points for your activities, and exchange points toward rewards. 

BTW, do you remember that you'll be getting 30 points on Global Masters for each comment?

Want to learn more about Global Masters? Read this short article Global Masters Advocate Hub - Start Here!  

7 0 41 514

HTML 5/Node.js documentation generator app, based in markdown and with the option to execute ObjectScript class methods like a developer portal. It is not to swagger API, but to Object Script.

A modern management portal to manage IRIS/Caché

A real good Global Editor with search functionality and easy to use

Editable HL7 Editor in the Message Viewer: This is much needed while viewing the msg content we can edit the msg

Inbound Interfaces Data Quality Dashboard: This will show the data quality issues in the msgs during the build as clean patient data means more actionable data to help patients

Knowledge Base & Sample Codes: This one is not there, as every user struggling when coding for simple things and if we have code base where people can get sample and speed up their work and reduce suffering

Master data management, This will have single place to have all master data and every system/compoent using such master data. Like Facility Registry, same used in routing rules, healthinsight. Same Gender, its used in data quality, validation, in reports, in mapping, in outbound interfaces

Best Practices to Common Problems: This will be quick start to implement real time example not generic documentation which is hard to follow and real things are not visible

Having a configuration tool in the management portal to help with all the settings.

System configuration. There are so much settings all over the application that it would be great to have a configuratino wizard divided into categories.

A cross-reference for external Classmethods and/or routines within:

• a routine
  • a class
  • a package of classes
  • a package of routines

this

Could you explain deeper your idea? How it will help, and whom?

I missed this during a migration from Caché to IRIS.
There were roughly 1500 routines and ~2000 classes. grown over >15 years.
The point was to find out dependencies and estimate the impact of changes.

Hi, Robert! Several years ago I tried to make a utility for visualizing calls of user-defined functions ( classmethods ). Perhaps this will help in the implementation of your own idea.

Thank you for the link.
My urgency has changed meanwhile and I don't have access to the data source anymore. 
Nevertheless, the problem is a general one.

A way to access the database in a different way from the WEB. A homemade solution.

Andre, could you please elaborate on this? There is ODBC/JDBC option. Terminal. Call-in.  What else are you looking for?

Sample code and common apps.

Would love to have a shopping cart example.

I would like to see a more modern SQL management/editor within IRIS. 

Why it has to be implemented inside? Why would not use some already well-established tools, such as DBeaver, JetBrains DataGrip, and so on?

For those that do not know what those tools are and are just getting into SQL, navigating around the tool within IRIS/HealthShare can be difficult at times. Even trying to use those tools can be complicated in setting up the necessary connections and settings.

Those tools already have some expertise in that area. Yeah, they may have some difficulties with InterSystems IRIS, may not understand some of the features of InterSystems SQL language, and so on. DBeaver, for instance, is an open-source project and can be improved by anybody. 

But I'm not sure that it's a good idea to invest so much time in implementing something, which already available and in some cases for free.

Having too many tools out of the box, not so good idea, it will not mean that all of those tools will have enough quality. 

So, in this case, I would focus development on improving existing tools, in better support for InterSystems products. It will take less time, with a bigger profit (at least InterSystems will be noticeable not only for current InterSystems users).

I fully support you.
Out of tradition, there is a tendency to implement already existing solutions though  better
and well-positioned on the markets. 
@Dmitry Maslennikov :
- you might remember times when even a webserver was written inside Caché
- or various text editors, source manager packages, and ..., and ... and ...
JUST because it was possible.

Decades back you had your globals and your language and not even an OS below.
But this was in previous millenium. This time is definitely over.

Functionality to generate diagram/documentation to display the message flow/connection  between different namespaces of a Healthshare instance. 

A dashboard for monitoring when SAM or a third party tool is not available.
Make sure there is the ability to add custom elements for the application and to select what elements are displayed to a user.
Also provide access to screens such as locks and processes with granular control over what they are able to do.

Essentially you don't want such users to have full management portal access just selected screens which are useful fronted by a monitor/dashboard that allows them to keep an eye on the database and application.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Ok, it requires a commercial license for DevExtreme which is a shame.

I think this is best as a configurable built-in dashboard but perhaps the demand is limited.

1. Data encryption and storage service with a set date for data access no sooner than a specified date

2. Library/framework to synchronise mobile/desktop/micro app data with the Kotlin/Rast/Julia API 

Linting for ObjectScript

Class dependency tree builder, this should support dynamic dependencies used.

A native connector for Erlang and Elixir framework, combining the speed of Iris with the high scalability and high concurrency management of the Erlang language

A new interface to export production, select several class at the same time. Export MAC in the same file, add default value by environment, etc... By this way, you can create a export file (xml) that you can load using implemetation menu option.

I'd love to see a set of functional style operators (like Javascript's functions map, filter, reduce etc) to work with JSON in COS - If isn't anything like that already.

It would be great if journal file show what program execute the command.