I have some beginner questions as I am working through the InterSystems Cache learning path:
- Where I work, we us Cache, but we often learning about and train on MUMPS. No one really talks about or mentions MUMPS here, but my understanding is that ObjectScript is basically MUMPS plus whatever new things InterSystems put on top of it. Is that a fair assessment?
- The training online often refers to IRIS. We don't use IRIS, but we use globals to store data. I suppose I'm just confused on the difference between Cache, Zen, IRIS and other products as they all seem to do similar things.
- If I have a global available in a certain namespace, can I use InterSystems SQL to query those globals?
- How do existing globals and creating classes work? Like I have a Person global right now. Can I turn that into a class and manipulate the data that way?
- I'm used to Java where you can write a class and then write a driver class to test your classes and methods. Or simply just test your newly created classes and methods in the main method (wherever that lies in your code). Is there something similar in Studio? I can write classes but then they are compiled and I have to go to the terminal and test them? Is this where routines come into play in Studio?
Is anyone else in similar boat where you're using Cache but not all the other tools and products InterSystems has? I'm struggling with learning my company's way and InterSystems' way.
Looking forward to any comments or feedback.