InterSystems Official
· Jan 31, 2018

InterSystems IRIS Data Platform 2018.1.0 Release

InterSystems is pleased to announce that InterSystems IRIS Data Platform 2018.1.0 is now released.

This press release was issued this morning.

InterSystems IRIS is a complete, unified data platform that makes it faster and easier to build real-time, data-rich applications.  It mirrors our design philosophy that software should be interoperable, reliable, intuitive, and scalable.

For information about InterSystems IRIS, please visit our website here.  You'll find out why InterSystems IRIS is the first complete data platform suitable for transactional, analytic, and hybrid transactional-analytic applications.  See how our InterSystems Cloud Manager enables open and rapid deployment on public and private clouds, bare metal or virtual machines.  Review our vertical and horizontal scaling, to ensure high performance regardless of your workloads, data sizes or concurrency needs.  Discover how to use familiar tools and languages like Java and REST to interoperate with all your data.

To interactively learn more about InterSystems IRIS, we've introduced the InterSystems IRIS Experience, a new environment that allows guided and open access to InterSystems IRIS Data Platform for exploring its powerful features.  The Experience offers you the ability to solve challenges and build solutions using real-world data sets.  With compelling scenarios, such as big data analytics and predicting patterns of financial fraud, developers and organizations can experience the power of InterSystems IRIS firsthand.

You can also review the complete online documentation.

Discussion (14)2

Hi Robert,

DocBook has now moved fully online, which is what the mgmt portal will link to: http://docs.intersystems.com/iris

SAMPLES included quite a few outdated examples and was also not appropriate for many non-dev deployments, so we've also moved to a different model there, posting the most relevant ones on GitHub, giving us more flexibility to provide updates and new ones: https://github.com/intersystems?q=samples

JDBC driver: to what extent is this different from the past? It's always just been available as a jarfile, as is customary for JDBC drivers. We do hope to be able to post it through Maven repositories in the near future though.

Small icons: yeah, to make our installer and (more importantly) the container images more lightweight, we had to economize on space. Next to the removal of DocBook and Samples, using smaller icons also reduces the size in bytes ;) ;)

InterSystems IRIS is giving us the opportunity to adopt a contemporary deployment model, where we were somewhat restricted by long-term backwards compatibility commitments with Caché & Ensemble. Some of these will indeed catch your eye and might even feel a little strange at first, but we really believe the new model makes developing and deploying applications easier and faster. Of course, we're open to feedback on all of these evolution and this is a good channel to hear from you.

Thanks!
benjamin

Hi Ben,
- I like the idea of external samples. That offers definitely more flexibility .
- DOCUMATIC is unchanged and works local!  That's important. OK 
- JDBC: it isn't visible in Custom Install.  You only see xDBC -> ODBC .   
   Not an issue, rather a surprise. The .jar are  where they used to be before.

I'm really happy that we finally can get out of old chains imposed by 40yrs (DSM-11 and others) backward compatibility .

Robert  

Hi Ben,

I just installed a few samples as in description . CONGRATULATIONS !
- not only that I get what I want and leave the rest aside
- I also can split samples by subjects in several DBs and namespaces without being trapped by (hidden) dependencies.

I think this makes live for training and teaching significantly easier!
And allows central bug fixing independent from core release dates.

A great idea! Thanks!

Hi Dmitry,

Zen is indeed no longer a central piece of our application development strategy. We'll support it for some time to come (your Zen app still works on IRIS), but our focus is on providing a fast and scalable data management platform rather than GUI libraries. In that sense, you may already have noticed that recent courses we published on the topic of application development focus on leveraging the right technologies to connect to the backend (i.e. REST) and suggest using best-of-breed third-party technologies (i.e. Angular) for web development.

InterSystems IRIS is a new product where we're taking advantage of our Caché & Ensemble heritage. It's meant to address today's challenges when building critical applications and we've indeed leveraged a number of capabilities from those products, but also added a few significant new ones like containers, cloud & horizontal scalability. We'll be providing an overview of elements to check for Caché & Ensemble customers that would like to migrate to InterSystems IRIS shortly (i.e. difference in supported platforms), but please don't consider this as merely an upgrade. You may already have noticed the installer doesn't support upgrading anyhow.

Thanks,
benjamin