Question
· 11 hr ago

Allocation of Disk Space - Splitting of IRIS.dat into 2 different files

Currently we are exploring how we can allocate additional disk space to our current environment as we have seen a significant increase in growth of our Database files. Currently we have 3 namespaces, all with 1 IRIS.dat each that contains both the Global and Routines.

Since we have started down the route of everything within a single IRIS.dat file for each namespace, is it logical as we see growth to be able to split the current IRIS.dat for each namespace into a separate IRIS.dat for global and a IRIS.dat with for routines for each namespace in a Mirror environment?

I assume that we would have to take each one of the nodes down at a single time to do this. Is this even logical to do? 

Or do we add a LUN and move everything over to that new LUN as is still maintaining the single IRIS.dat per namespace?

Thanks

Scott

Product version: IRIS 2022.1
$ZV: IRIS for UNIX (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86-64) 2022.1.4 (Build 812_0_22913U) Thu Dec 7 2023 17:06:30 EST [HealthConnect:3.5.0-1.m1] [HealthConnect:3.5.0-1.m1]
Discussion (1)1

Hi Scott,

my first thought here was use ^GBLOCKCOPY.

GBLOCKCOPY can copy all globals from one database into a new database or namespace.

So in your case create a new namespace with the correct mappings and new default databases. then use ^GBLOCKCOPY to copy all globals into this namespace. The copy to namespace follows the mapping definition for the namespace and should split Global(data) and Routine(also in globals) into the respective default databases.
This new databases can also created mirrored and then would be populated on all nodes respectively.

A caveat though i would test this first as i am a bit unsure if it really gets all globals located in a database(including system), although i am pretty sure it does.