Article
· Nov 7, 2016 6m read

How To Display Custom SDA Extensions in the Clinical Viewer (Sneeziness Example)

How To Display Custom SDA Extensions in the Clinical Viewer

Written by Sebastian Musielak, InterSystems Support, November, 2016

A new feature introduced in HealthShare Version 15 is the ability to create custom SDA extensions to store custom data in SDA.  In some cases, it might be nice to display that new data in the Clinical Viewer.  This is a step-by-step guide for how to do that. 

To begin, we will make a few assumptions:

A – This guide was created running HealthShare version:

Cache for Windows (x86-64) 2016.1.2 (Build 208U) Thu Aug 18 2016 16:25:50 EDT [HealthShare Modules: Core:15.01.6402 + Linkage Engine:15.0.6402 + Patient Index:15.0.6402 + Clinical Viewer:15.01.6402 + Active Analytics:15.0.6402]

B - Assume that the custom SDA Extension has already been configured according to the documentation.  For the purposes of this guide, we will be using the “sneeziness” extension, which is an example in the HealthShare 2015 documentation for adding a new field called “sneeziness” to the Allergy SDA. 

For more information about customizing the Allergy SDA, please see the HealthShare Version 15 documentation on the subject of “Customizing the SDA” and specifically the subsection on “Using the Extension Classes to Customize the SDA”. 

C - We will also assume that the TrakCare Layout Manager has already been configured to allow customization of the clinical viewer.     

For more information about configuring the system to use the Layout Editor, please search for the HealthShare Version 15 documentation for the subject of “Required Setup for Clinical Viewer Customization”. 

1) Open TrakCare Layout Editor

We will start by going into the TrakCare Clinical Viewer and opening the Layout Editor for the chart, which we want to customize. In this case, we want to customize the Allergies and Adverse Reactions Chart.

2) Change an existing column name to suit your needs

In the list of Columns available in the Layout Editor (Category, Allergen, Nature of Reaction, etc.), pick a column that is not used to store any data or that contains data you might not care about.  This will be the column in which we display our “Sneeziness” value.  For example, I chose to use “External ID”.  Double click on the text to edit the column name to “Sneeziness”.  Save the chart under the desired site. 

When you reload the Clinician Viewer, it still will not contain a column for Sneeziness because the column is hidden.  That must be changed. 

3) If the Column is hidden by Default, Display It

Open the Column Editor by Double Clicking on the row of columns.  Drag the Sneeziness tab from the bottom list of tabs (the hidden tabs) to the top list of tabs (the viewed list).  Apply the changes.

The Sneeziness column should now appear in the row of columns.  But there is no data listed.  We need to write code to pull the data out of the Clinical Viewer cache.  We will do this using a custom class and classmethod.  Once we have created the class, we need to

4) Write Code to Extract the Custom Data

Create a new class and create a classmethod in the namespace you have your Access Gateway.  For example, I created a class called “User.SDAExtension” and a classmethod called “GetSneezinessViewerTransform”. 

Since not all implementations are exactly the same, it is a good idea to understand the underlying workflow that allows data to be displayed in the Viewer.  The HTML code that displays the Clinical Viewer is actually generated by dozens of HealthShare routines with names like “GCOMx.y.mac”, where x and y are numbered between 10 and 50.  The HTML code is also generated from code with the name like “gen.ComponentXRef.X.Y.LZmac”, where X, Y, and Z are other numbers. 

The GCOM and ComponentXRef code is, in turn, generated by changes made in the Layout Editor.  It is important to understand that changes in the Layout Editor will update the GCOM and ComponentXRef routines, which will change the generated HTML.  To find which piece of code generated the HTML, you can use your Chrome, Firefox or IE browser tools to inspect the page (or frame) source.  The page and frame source will tell us the routine which generated that piece of HTML.  For example, when we inspect the frame source for the data in the Allergies and Reactions table, we see the following HTML code:

You will notice that our Allergy HTML code is generated by gen.ComponentXRef.56.1.  Eventually, we see where we define the Row ID (covered in the next step).  With the Row ID, id ,we can extract the patientid

With the patientid, we can do a lookup for the aggregation key, agkey,  for that patient using the ^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamlet global.  You can look at this global in the portal after loading a Patient into the viewer in another browser tab. 

The agkey allows us to find the Streamlet ID, streamletID, assuming we know what kind of streamlet we want.  In our example case, we want to find the streamletID for the Allergy Streamlet.  The streamletID corresponds to the Object/Table row on disk, which stores our custom extension data. 

We can bring the object into memory using the %OpenID() method.  This allows us to pass the SDAString property of the Streamlet Object into a Utility method, XMLImportSDAString(), which will allow us to parse the SDA structure and extract the Sneeziness property. 

This code is actually run by the Server-Side process which accepts commands from the Clinical Viewer UI.  A lot of the variables are already in memory and we just need to write code to find the data we need. 

Class User.SDAExtension Extends %Persistent
{

ClassMethod GetSneezinessViewerTransform(id) As %String
{
  set patientid=$p(id,"||")
  set agkey= $g(^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamlet("HSACCESS","P",patientid))
  set streamletID= $g(^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamlet("HSACCESS","V",agkey,"ALG",id))
  set obj=##class(HS.SDA3.Streamlet.Allergy).%OpenId(streamletID)
  set allergySDA3=##class(HS.SDA3.Allergy).%New()
  set st=allergySDA3.XMLImportSDAString(obj.SDAString)
  set sneeziness=allergySDA3.Extension.Sneeziness

quit sneeziness
}

}

5) Create a Transform which Calls your Custom Code

Now that we have code that can run on the clinical viewer to get the Sneeziness, we need to define a transform to run that code.  Go back to the Trak Viewer Home Page and click on Tools    .  Click on “Code Table Map”, open the “System Management” expansion box, and click on “Transformation” to bring up the Transform Wizard. 

Click “New” to create a new Transform.

Set the following fields in the Transformation:

Code: GetSneeziness

Name: GetSneeziness

Description: Get the sneeziness from the SDA3 extension

Expression: set val=##class(User.SDAExtension).GetSneezinessViewerTransform($g(rs.Data("RowID")))

Owner: Site

The expression gets the ID of the row from the CSP Session data and sends to the Class for processing.  We found this by digging through the  ComponentXRef  code and finding where we specify Row ID.  From that, we can find the PatientID, StreamletID and eventually extract the Sneeziness. 

Note that all expressions in the Layout Editor expect the format:

SET val=<insert some COS code>

Update the Transformation and confirm that it shows up in the list of transformations.  Now, we need to configure the Clinical Viewer to call the transform to get the data to show up. 

6) Specify your transform to be used in the Layout Editor

Go back to the Layout Editor for the Allergies and Adverse Reactions Chart.  Right-Click on the Properties for the Sneeziness column (see Action 2 of this guide).   Select the Search button next to the Transform setting.  This should allow you to choose the Transform we created in the previous action. 

At this point, assuming you already have data populated on disk in Information Exchange, you should be able to Log Out of the TrakCare Viewer and log back in to see the newly populated column.

Discussion (11)0

Thanks for the great article Sebastian!
I tried this myself for an Encounter property, and Step 4 can require a good bit of practice and digging through the frame-source HTML and the ^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamlet global to really understand how it all works. Grabbing the streamletID for an Encounter requires some different code than grabbing the streamletID for an Allergy. For my use case the code for Step 4 was something like:

ClassMethod GetTransferredFromEDViewerTransform(patientID, episodeID) As %String
{
  set agkey= $g(^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamlet("HSACCESS","P",patientID))
  set streamletID= $g(^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamlet("HSACCESS","V",agkey,"ENC",episodeID))  
  set obj=##class(HS.SDA3.Streamlet.Encounter).%OpenId(streamletID)
  set encounterSDA3=##class(HS.SDA3.Encounter).%New()
  set st=encounterSDA3.XMLImportSDAString(obj.SDAString)
  set fromED=encounterSDA3.TransferredFromED

if (fromED = 1) return "yes"
  return "no"
}

and the expression for Step 5 was something like:
set val=##class(Test.Viewer.Transforms).GetTransferredFromEDViewerTransform($g(rs.Data("PatientID")),$g(rs.Data("EpisodeID")))

Thanks Sebastian and Benjamin for your contributions !

Actually i'm trying to display some SDA fields extension on my Clinical Viewer . I've managed to display Allergy extensions by following this article

I also tried to display Patient extensions on the PAPerson.Banner component, but i'm wondering how to correctly retrieving the StreamletID from ^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamle in step 4 , i did not find the information type corresponding to the Patient SDA as it is described in the documentation here below :

http://194.2.225.126:57772/csp/docbook/DocBook.UI.Page.cls?KEY=HECUI_ch_...

Does anyone have an idea about solving this issue ? Thank you in advance

Hi Raouf,

on the Patient Banner component, and on Details components (side panes and pop-ups), you cannot access information "per row" using a ResultSet variable rs like described above. Instead you need to use %request properties: for example on the Patient Banner you can retrieve the internal patientID as

$g(%request.Data("PatientID",1))

From this point on, like before you can retrieve the Aggregation key like this:

$g(^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamlet("HSACCESS","P",patientID))

Finally, the patient Streamlet is referenced with the information type "PAT", so that you can retrieve the StreamletID like this:

$g(^CacheTemp.HS.ViewerStreamlet("HSACCESS","V",agkey,"PAT",patientID)

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Francois

I just had to do this again to grab the SDA value Procedure.EnteredAt.Code

In case it's useful to anyone out there, my code for Step #4 was...
ClassMethod GetEnteredAtCodeViewerTransform(procedureID) As %String
{
 set patientid = %request.Data("PatientID",1)
 //merge ^CacheTempUser.WRC923241($zdatetime($horolog),"PatientID") = patientid 
 //merge ^CacheTempUser.WRC923241($zdatetime($horolog),"ProcedureID") = procedureID
 set streamletID = ##class(web.SDA3.Loader).GetStreamletId(,patientid,"PRC",procedureID)
 //merge ^CacheTempUser.WRC923241($zdatetime($horolog),"StreamletID") = streamletID
 set tSC = ##class(HS.SDA3.Container).LoadSDAObject(streamletID,.procedureSDA3)
 //merge ^CacheTempUser.WRC923241($zdatetime($horolog),"procedureSDA3") = procedureSDA3
 set EnteredAtCode = procedureSDA3.EnteredAt.Code
 quit EnteredAtCode
}

and the expression for Step 5 was:
  set val=##class(Test.WRC.W923241.Transforms).GetEnteredAtCodeViewerTransform($g(rs.Data("PROC_RowId")))

Hi @Ben Schlanger ,

According to the SDA annotations a Procedure's EnteredAt field is projected to :

/// [...] ViewerClass=User.HS.CTHospital
/// VIEWERLIB: User.HS.MRProcedures(PROCUpdateHospitalDR)

So I guess the Last Update Hospital is the description, not the code. But have you tried to use the Trak Table instead of loading the streamlet? 

If you have the procedureID you could try something like this:

set tMRProcedures = ##class(User.HS.MRProcedures).%OpenId(procedureID)
set EnteredAtCode = pMRProcedures.PROCUpdateHospitalDR.HOSPCode

Not that it makes a big difference in the end, but if that works it may be a more efficient method.

I was able to find APIs for the tasks being performed in Sebastian's custom code.  It is preferrable that APIs are used rather than direct global access.  I also discovered another method of finding the PatientID, rather than having to extract it from the RowID.  This code should be equivalent to Sebastian's code:

ClassMethod GetSneezinessViewerTransform(id) As %String
{
set patientid = %request.Data("PatientID",1)
set streamletID = ##class(web.SDA3.Loader).GetStreamletId(,patientid,"ALG",id)
set tSC = ##class(HS.SDA3.Container).LoadSDAObject(streamletID,.allergySDA3)
set sneeziness = allergySDA3.sneeziness
quit sneeziness
}

I am using same logic for Observations, OBS. 

Expression val = ##class(CUSTOM.Transformation.Observation).GetObsItems(val)

In my transformation classMethod. I am able to get the PatientID :  $get(%request.Data("PatientID",1)) 

But not able to get the RowId. to find the streamlet id. 

Please let me know how to get the RowID for OBS.

Thank you 

One quibble: if the user creates the new class as User.Foo, as in your example, it will be situated in the VIEWERLIB database according to our standard namespace package mappings.

I think we don't want custom code to live there; rather, it should live in HSCUSTOM. By default, we have a mapping to HSCUSTOM for the package HS.Local ... should the new class be located in this package instead?