Announcement
· Jun 17, 2022

InterSystems Full Stack Contest 2022

Hello and welcome to the 21st InterSystems programming contest! 

🏆 InterSystems Full Stack Contest 2022 🏆

Duration: June 27 - July 17, 2022

In prizes: $10,000

The topic

💡  Full Stack Applications 💡

Develop a Full Stack solution using the InterSystems IRIS, InterSystems IRIS For Health, or IRIS Cloud Service as a backend. By full stack we mean a frontend web or mobile application which inserts, updates, or deletes data in InterSystems IRIS via REST API, Native API, ODBC/JDBC, or Embedded Python.

What's more?

This time we decided to invite developers to try their skills in solving one of the global challenges. We encourage you to join this contest with solutions focused on tackling climate change issues:
1) You will receive a special bonus if your application can solve problems related to global warming and climate change. 
2) There will also be another bonus if you prepare and submit to Open Exchange a dataset related to the global warming and climate change.

So! We’re looking forward to your innovative contributions for an even more sustainable world. Hone your digital skills to develop solutions for climate issues!

General Requirements:

1. Accepted applications: new to Open Exchange apps or existing ones, but with a significant improvement. Our team will review all applications before approving them for the contest.
  2. The application should work either on IRIS Community Edition or IRIS for Health Community Edition or IRIS Advanced Analytics Community Edition.
  3. The application should be Open Source and published on GitHub. 
  4. The README file to the application should be in English, contain the installation steps, and contain either the video demo or/and a description of how the application works.

Contest Prizes:

1. Experts Nomination – winners will be selected by the team of InterSystems experts:

🥇 1st place - $4,000 

🥈 2nd place - $2,000 

🥉 3rd place - $1,000

🌟 4-15th places - $100

2. Community winners – applications that will receive the most votes in total:

🥇 1st place - $1,000 

🥈 2nd place - $750

🥉 3rd place - $500

✨ Global Masters badges for all winners included!

Note: If several participants score the same amount of votes, they all are considered winners, and the money prize is shared among the winners.

Important Deadlines:

🛠 Application development and registration phase:

• June 27, 2022 (00:00 EST): Contest begins.
  • July 10, 2022 (23:59 EST): Deadline for submissions.

Voting period:

• July 11, 2022 (00:00 EST): Voting begins.
  • July 17, 2022 (23:59 EST): Voting ends.

Note: Developers can improve their apps throughout the entire registration and voting period.

Who Can Participate?

Any Developer Community member, except for InterSystems employees (ISC contractors allowed). Create an account!

Developers can team up to create a collaborative application. Allowed from 2 to 5 developers in one team.

Do not forget to highlight your team members in the README of your application – DC user profiles.

Helpful Resources:

✓ InterSystems IRIS Docker templates suitable for a Full Stack application:

✓ Online courses:

✓ Videos:

✓ For beginners with IRIS:

✓ For beginners with ObjectScript Package Manager (ZPM):

✓ How to submit your app to the contest:

Need Help?

Join the contest channel on InterSystems' Discord server or talk with us in the comment to this post. 

We can't wait to see your projects! Good luck 👍

By participating in this contest, you agree to the competition terms laid out here. Please read them carefully before proceeding. 

Discussion (7)3

Hi everyone!

I’m happy to see that corporation where I worked for 12 years is really care about problem of climate change.

Now I’m studying in the University and my major is close to climate change topic. That’s why I want to add my 2 cents and share my opinion which applications done be developers could help with climate change issue.

First, I want to say that analysis of UN, World Bank and other organizations data related to climate change in my opinion will not change anything, just give information that “something is happening”.

But developers can make a real positive change in this area implementing applications which help decrease energy consumption. Because largest part of global warming is related to warming produced during energy production in energy production plants from non-renewable energy sources like coal, oil products, gas. That’s why in my point of view all applications which help to decrease warming which is produced during energy production or decrease energy consumption are helpful.

For health industry related applications examples are:

• Telemedicine
    • Hospitalization planning applications

And all others which minimize patients travel especially for large distance to minimize petrol consumption by cars and planes, and electricity for trains and metro.

Non-industry related applications like:

• Distant learning and certification
    • Teleconference
    • Applications which support remote work for workgroups

And others – for the same reason: minimization energy consumption for travel.

Health trackers which motivate people to use feet and bicycle for short term travel and don’t use cars.

Food production and consumption is energy intensive process as well. It looks small for one person, but for billions of people it is huge. Dietary related applications which help to decrease losses of products on each stage of production, delivery chain and consumption, decrease meat consumption and use more balanced diet, because meat production requires is at least 10 time more energy compared to vegetable proteins.

Smart City applications which optimize energy consumption on city level. It includes traffic monitoring and control to minimize traffic jams (decreasing petrol and electricity consumption), and motivates people to use public transport which decreases further energy consumption.

Smart Home applications which help to optimize energy consumption on level of house.

Applications which help people to use right way to recycle old electric and electronic equipment, especially fridges and freezers. Old fridges and freezers contain old standard refrigerating medium, which are 1000 times more dangerous for ozone layer and climate change compared to carbon dioxide.

I hope this text will help developers to understand that small and ordinary applications which they implement now could really help to solve global important problem of climate change.

Good luck in the Contest!