Question
· Jun 5, 2018

python binding install a total bust

Hi - has anyone successfully used the python binding on a mac. I carried out the install instructions per InterSystems documentation and it fails completely. 204 warnings and 9 errors. Obviously this was never tested by InterSystems. Is it even worth pursuing?

Thanks

Discussion (5)1

First - thanks for the answer/comment.

i'm new to python and my version is Python 3.6.0 :: Anaconda custom (x86_64)

Mac OS is  High Sierra 10.13.3

Latest cache release downloaded a few days ago.

The setup.py code immediately reported syntax errors which were easy enough to fix by using parens. for the print function. The raw-input function also had to be changed to just input. But these syntax errors did not give me confidence for the rest of the install and sure enough I got the warnings and errors as stated. Will try again and post the rather lengthy output.

I've been trying out python with jupyter notebooks and that works well. Also tensor flow and spark python. To my way of thinking the synergy between cache globals and the python list structure and the associated structures used by the machine learning libraries of tensor flow/spark is a big deal.

I encourage you to get in touch with the WRC, but if you post more information, we might be able to make some progress. For starters, what version of Caché and Python, and what kind of errors are you seeing?

I successfully built the binding using the following:

• macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
  • Python 2.7.10 (built-in version)
  • command line tools for Xcode 8.3.3
  • Cache 2017.2.1 build 801U

It looks like I got a total of eleven compiler warnings.

As described here, it's a bit tricky to actually use the binding with the system version of Python due to Apple's System Integrity Protection (SIP):

https://community.intersystems.com/post/installing-intersystems-python-b...

This may be fixable with some install_name_tool surgery, but a separate installation is recommended.