Article
· Jul 11, 2017 1m read

Installation/Upgrade on Windows Can Fail With "Visual C++ 2013 redistributables (x86) not found!"

An installation or upgrade of Caché, Ensemble, or HealthShare on Windows could fail with the titled error if a newer version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 (x86) or (x64) is installed instead of version 12.0.30501.

If you encounter this error during an installation, you can get around it by uninstalling those versions of the redistributables in the Control Panel, then manually installing both x86 and x64 older versions directly from this link. This problem has been corrected in maintenance kits 2016.1.4 and 2016.2.2 and all released 2017 versions by devchange ALE2949. This change is documented in the 2016.1.4 maintenance release notes.

Discussion (2)2

This continues to happen with 2017.1.1 when doing an unattended install. I have opened ticket 886059 with WRC about it. Turns out I had overlooked this note in the doc:

Important:

Before using the Caché unattended installation utility, you must download and install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784). If you are installing on a 64-bit system, you must install both the vcredist_x86.exe file and the vcredist_x64.exe file.

Maybe worth adding that the two MS packages can be run with command line options suitable for unattended use, e.g.

vcredist_x86.exe /passive /norestart

For a dialog box showing all the command line options:

vcredist_x86.exe /help

or

vcredist_x86.exe /?

I wish an unattended install of Cache would install these runtime prerequisites automatically for us. I think it does that when doing an interactive install, which would imply that the vcredist_x*.exe kits are already bundled inside the cache*.exe installer.