Using InterSystems ObjectScript for VS Code - How to report issues
InterSystems ObjectScript for VS Code consists of three collaborating VS Code extensions. For ease of installation and management there's a fourth entity, the InterSystems ObjectScript Extension Pack. It's a great way to get started with minimum clicks, and handy to have even if you have already installed the other extensions.
This modular architecture also means there are three different GitHub repositories where issues can be created. Fortunately VS Code itself helps with the task. Here's how to use it:
1. From the Help menu in VS Code choose Report Issue. Alternatively, open the Command Palette (I typically do this by pressing the F1 key) and run Help: Report Issue... (Pro Palette Tip: try typing just hri and see how fast it gets you to the right command)
2. A dialog like this appears:
3. Use the first field to classify your issue:
- Bug Report
- Feature Request
- Performance Issue
4. In the second field pick "An extension".
5. The third dropdown lets you pick one of your installed extensions. You can also type a few characters to find the right entry. For example, isls quickly selects "InterSystems Language Server" for me.
Which one to choose? Here's a rough guide:
- InterSystems Language Server
- code colo(u)ring
- InterSystems ObjectScript
- export, import and compile
- ObjectScript Explorer (browsing namespace contents)
- direct server-side editing using isfs:// folders in a workspace
- integration with server-side source control etc
- InterSystems Server Manager
- password management in local keychain
- definition and selection of entries in `intersystems.servers`
If you can't decide, pick InterSystems ObjectScript.
6. Type a descriptive one-line summary of your issue. The dialog may offer a list of existing issues which could be duplicates. If you don't find one that covers yours, proceed.
7. Begin to enter details. At this stage I usually type just one character, then click "Preview on GitHub" to launch a browser page where I can use the familiar GH issue UI to complete my report. Tips for use there:
- Paste images from your clipboard directly into the report field on GH. For hard-to-describe issues an animated GIF gets bonus points.
- Link to other issues by prefixing the target number with #
- Remember that whatever you post here is visible to anyone on the Internet. Mask/remove confidential information. Be polite.
8. When you are happy with what you have written (tip - use the Preview tab) click "Submit new issue".
Using Help: Report Issue... means your version numbers are automatically added.