Static Documentation Generators
In the past, technical documentation of the source code and software products was generated in chm, pdf files and documentation generators of the programming languages themselves. This old approach had the following limitations:
1. Outdated documentation;
2. Non-interactive and difficult to consult documentation;
3. Layout unresponsive, unfriendly and not adherent to HTML;
4. Inability to customize the layout of the documentation;
5. Inability to have HTML 5 documentation online and offline.
6. Lack of Markdown support.
Today, there are several documentation generation solutions that produce Web Documentation Portals that are very attractive, interactive, responsive and with static and dynamic options, with full support for HTML 5 and more recently Markdown.
See the table with the most popular open source options:
Github Repo: https://github.com/docsifyjs/docsify
The IRIS Publisher in the Open Exchange allows you extract XData documentation blocks in HTML or Markdown and generate your app documentation website using MkDocs. See the instructions in the article: https://community.intersystems.com/post/creating-documentation-portal-your-intersystems-iris-application.
If you enjoyed, vote in my app: https://openexchange.intersystems.com/contest/current