Sr. Application Development Analyst - The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Health System Shared Services | Business Systems
Serves as the primary contributor and consultant for patient care services in the planning, design, development, implementation, functionality and evaluation of integrated health information systems that support and enhance practice, administrative and management needs and patient outcomes. Acts as the principle resource with health system knowledge and computer expertise to coordinate and provide support for all new and current applications and software upgrades applicable to the health systems. Responsible for the analysis, design, testing and implementation of complex health information systems and solutions. Prepares detailed specifications. Conducts assessments of the health system environment and identifies implications for system implementations, and acts as a facilitator for those changes in the health system environment. Conduct independent research and fact-finding to develop or modify system solutions of a highly complex nature. Will advise end-user training on health system applications to ensure understanding of functionality and the development and design of training programs. Evaluate and recommend application acquisitions.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of this position are performed under the general review and supervision of health system applications staff and management. A majority of assignments will be completed independently, subject to periodic review and approval of senior health system applications staff and managers. Competent to work at the highest technical level of most phases of systems analysis while considering the health system implications of the application of technology to the current and future health system environment.
% of time
-Serves as the primary partner with clients and/or business users in health system areas to identify, evaluate, and develop products, procedures, and/or systems which are cost effective and meets business needs and regulatory requirements.
-Conducts detailed assessment of health system operations via interviews, meetings and observations to determine and develop business function and operating plans and summaries; serves as liaison between customer department and IT Department to coordinate needs assessment, impact statements, resource utilization, systems requirements, and integration methodologies.
-Analyzes and evaluates complex existing or proposed health system information systems to process data. Prepares charts and diagrams to assist in problem analysis and submits recommendations for solutions.
-Provides and recommends innovative ideas, processes and/or procedures for enhancements, additions, modifications to improve the existing health system systems.
-Responsible for designing, developing, modifying, implementing and testing complex health system programs, applications software, and/or services for clients.
-Prepares detailed design specifications and flowcharts, and coordinates the system's installation with the user department ensuring satisfactory results.
-Performs complex health system applications implementation, testing, and evaluation.
-Review of health system applications developed to ensure they meet design specifications and functionality.
-Develops change-management strategies to support health system workflow and process redesign associated with the health system applications implementation, acting as a liaison to the health system user staff.
-Plans, tests and implements complex health system application upgrades and enhancements including changes to profiles, master files, reports, screens, systems design, conversion requirements and documentation requirements.
-Leads the application support and maintenance for the health system applications.
-Determines, diagnosis, isolates and resolves complex health system applications resource and utilization problems and errors; develops fault diagnosis, isolation and resolution techniques.
-Responsible for managing complex health system applications issues and problem; provides technical support in response to user problems and questions regarding functionality, operations, input/output, reporting and general operating procedures.
-Works closely with health system staff and technical personnel to determine exact nature of problems, implements remedial procedures and educates end users to prevent future occurrences; documents problems, correction procedures, and communicates findings to departmental staff.
-Works with application vendor(s) for scheduling and monitoring results of software patches, downtime, recovery plans and upgrade loads to both test and live environments to ensure minimal interruption to operations.
-Maintains application security protocols; assigns users and provides application access as appropriate.
15% Project Management/Administrative
-Leads health system application projects from medium to large in scope, risk and impact.
-Leads and facilitates strategic projects involved in evaluating and researching new and existing products, procedures and/or workflows needs associated with health system information systems and applications for the Medical Center
-Assists in the development and implementation of health system application policies, standards and procedures.
-Acts as a resource for direction, training and guidance for less experienced staff.
-Attend staff, departmental and system meetings
-Log work hours with the approved time tracking system
-Work with immediate manager to determine project priority as well as collaborate with other staff members to determine project planning/execution
-Collaborate with the other hospital departments to discuss the needs and vision of the Medical Center
-Will advise end-user training on health system applications to ensure understanding of functionality.
-Will advise in the development and implementation of training programs; provides subject matter input in the development of both technical and end-user training manuals, policies and procedures.
-Responsible for initiating and updating policies and procedures involving patient care information systems issues, ensuring that regulations such as the JCAHO requirements are met.
-An Epic Certification is required for your role. You are expected to obtain a certification within 12 months of your hire date and maintain your certification as a condition of employment
5% Other Duties as Assigned
Practices within the Medical Center's policies and procedures. Adheres to the Buckeye Spirit Value statements of Inclusiveness, Determination, Empathy, Sincerity, Ownership and Innovation as demonstrated through positive patient/guest relations, positive and effective interactions with staff, and formulating and meeting developmental goals.
- A college degree
- 4-8 years of experience in Information Technology
- Demonstrates effective two-way communication skills with customers and team members
- Ability to solve problems and think logically to address challenges
- Ability to work successfully within a team and assist other team members with their technical issues
- Knowledge and experience with hospital systems and business practices
- Experience in a Healthcare setting.
- 3-5 years’ relevant experience desired in reading and manipulating HL7, and in working with interface engines
- Prefer experience in the following technologies: Intersystems Ensemble engine, Epic Bridges, HL7, XML, X12, TCP/IP, SSL/TLS, SFTP, Bash shell, FHIR, Perl, Cache ObjectScript
- Familiarity with other interface engine technologies such as Mirth, Cloverleaf, Rhapsody
- Epic Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system knowledge desired
- Epic Bridges certification desired
- Skilled in developing scripts that support the transformation of data to and from various messaging definitions using Perl and the Unix command line
- Skilled in ETL of large data sets with expertise in data-mapping, validation, and data cleansing and normalization techniques desired
- Experience and understanding of API designs, working with RESTful, XML, XSLT, JSON.
- Ability to perform network diagnostics and/or knowledge of networking protocols
- Extensive experience interacting with customers to gather and understand their business and technical requirements
- Strong, logical thought process with ability to understand and analyze business and clinical workflows, and develop them into complex translations that allows disparate systems to communicate
- Significant knowledge of systems implementation which includes analysis, specification design, and implementation
- Strong project and process management skills; ability to manage complex projects with a medium to large scope. Will work within OSU’s PMO project methodology.
- Experience in developing technical and user documentation.
- Able to keep abreast of healthcare and data security technology trends
- Ability to prioritize projects and react to critical deadlines
- Strong ability to clearly communicate technical information to all levels of staff
- Ability to acquire, assimilate, and apply new technical knowledge and skills quickly and autonomously
Ackerman Rd, 640 (2432)
Health System Annual 028
Final candidates are subject to successful completion of a background check. A drug screen or physical may be required during the post offer process.