We have a mixture of legacy and new systems, and are grappling with the issue of moving documents between systems.
At the moment we are mostly using file drops and encoding metadata in filenames, but a new supplier (letter transcription) is going to provide a Hl7v2 feed sending MDM^T02 messages with PDF's of letters base64 encoded in the message itself.
We are thinking of asking all our suppliers to go with MDM (or ORU) for sending documents.
I'm interested in the pros and cons of the options; and if there are options I haven't thought of.
This is the options I have so far;
- file drops - which are fragile and hard to monitor when you do them with service accounts, scripts and 'Scheduled Tasks'
- file drops managed by HealthShare - more reliable, but no 'ACK' to the sending system
- MDM^T02 - better - multiple documents more metadata than I can squeeze in a filename (ORU^R02 for results)
- HL7v3 ITK non-coded CDA - essentially the same as MDM but in XML
- FHIR - same as 3 & 4 but in JSON
Please let me know if
a) you know of any other options
b) you can elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of the each of the option