Article
· Nov 9, 2021 3m read

InterSystems ObjectScript 101++ (EN)

For some years I missed being able to offer, to everybody interested in ObjectScript, a tutorial more or less complete, to start with ObjectScript. Something that could help more and make things easier to those new developers that come to our technology... something intermediate, halfway between the common "Hello World!", that doesn't really get you further, and the "Advanced Training", that is unaffordable because of lack of time,etc.

If there were something truly helpful not only as an introduction to the ecosystem, but as a starting point, as a boost, to really start to walk into ObjectScript and move forward by yourself... wouldn't that be awesome?

In short... as I say, the idea that something like that should exist, it's going around me for a while... and then, the pandemic... and we had to stay at home, almost no holidays, and loooonnggg weekends,... what a better situation to do what we always say we would do if we had time?

So..no sooner said than done... I started to work on it several months ago and spend some free time here and there to develop this idea... you will tell me how it is (be kind), because: 

Today I can announce officially the birth of  ¡¡¡1st Video Tutorial in Spanish of ObjectScript 101++ !!!  

Ok, ok,... plus, plus, .... I didn't date to call it 102... or intermediate or so...laugh....  It's composed of 6 videos plus one with a short introduction...

Wait... yes... I know... I said Spanish... and this is community in english...I know... It's uploaded in the ES community since September...but last week I published the last video there and I thought that it could also be useful to english native speakers that understand (or are learning) spanish... that's why I decided to post it also here. Also, I'm dealing with subtitles in YouTube... so to include the english translation. I'll link the videos for which I consider the english translation is fine as soon as they're ready. Right now, only the first 3 are reviewed (I will need some more weekends smiley). 

Code samples and exercises used in different parts of the tutorial are in GitHub. To see the videos better, my advice is to do it in full size screen... they are also available in YouTube.

IMPORTANT: It's not an InterSystems official training and doesn't intend to (it can't in any way) replace the formal classroom training, which are more extense, rigurous and complete. My intention is for this tutorial to be an additional resource to introduce you into the ObjectScript world as a starting point and a spur, something that helps you to move forward by yourself, together with other resources from eLearning, formal training, documentation or this community!

¡¡Enjoy!!

Chapter 0 - Introduction

Chapter 1 - Settling down

Chapter 2 - Iterating

Chapter 3 - My Execution Context

Chapter 4 - Indirection and Globals

Chapter 5 - Objects in ObjectScript

Chapter 6 - What about SQL?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/13eLTwEmOaQ
[This is an embedded link, but you cannot view embedded content directly on the site because you have declined the cookies necessary to access it. To view embedded content, you would need to accept all cookies in your Cookies Settings]

Discussion (7)2

Well, it has been a long trip... but Chapter 6, "What's about SQL?" is finally published with reviewed English CC...

In this last chapter I'll show you what's about the Multi-Model architecture of InterSystems IRIS, and how ObjectScript is able to work also with SQL paradigm in a very easy way to also cover that feature of the platform.
We'll do hands-on exercises of embedded and dynamic SQL using the small class model we defined in the previous chapter... which now we'll see as an E/R model.

And... That's all folks!

Happy Coding!

Hi again, I've just added to the article the slides that I used during the video tutorial. Feel free to use all of some of them. If you do, the only thing I would kindly ask you is to include a link as a reference to this article within our community.

For the ones that contacted me, you were right, the repository in GitHub was set as private. It's set to public now: GitHub Repository - Examples