Question
· Mar 5, 2019

Converting a list of non persistent objects into a ResultSet

Hello,

I'm using ZEN report to generate a PDF file out a table.

Although, I need to display data from two tables splitted into two different namespaces.

So, I created a process that fetches all the data I need and then calls the PDF class and generates the stream out of it.

My question is, once I've got my list of objects. How can I transform it into a ResultSet, in order to display in the report ?

Thanks for your answer.

Discussion (6)1

Okay, even if the classes/globals are the same there's a solution. Let's say you have Sample.Person class in namespaces SAMPLES and USER, each with their own data:

Class Sample.Person Extends %Persistent
{

Property Name;

Storage Default
{
<Data name="PersonDefaultData">
<Value name="1">
<Value>%%CLASSNAME</Value>
</Value>
<Value name="2">
<Value>Name</Value>
</Value>
</Data>
<DataLocation>^Sample.PersonD</DataLocation>
<DefaultData>PersonDefaultData</DefaultData>
<IdLocation>^Sample.PersonD</IdLocation>
<IndexLocation>^Sample.PersonI</IndexLocation>
<StreamLocation>^Sample.PersonS</StreamLocation>
<Type>%Library.CacheStorage</Type>
}

}

And you want to query both from the USER namespace. In that case create a new class extending Sample.Person in the USER namespace and modify storage like this:

Class Utils.SamplesPerson Extends (%Persistent, Sample.Person)
{

Storage Default
{
<Data name="PersonDefaultData">
<Value name="1">
<Value>%%CLASSNAME</Value>
</Value>
<Value name="2">
<Value>Name</Value>
</Value>
</Data>
<DataLocation>^["SAMPLES"]Sample.PersonD</DataLocation>
<DefaultData>PersonDefaultData</DefaultData>
<ExtentSize>200</ExtentSize>
<IdLocation>^["SAMPLES"]Sample.PersonD</IdLocation>
<IndexLocation>^["SAMPLES"]Sample.PersonI</IndexLocation>
<StreamLocation>^["SAMPLES"]Sample.PersonS</StreamLocation>
<Type>%Library.CacheStorage</Type>
}

Note that DataLocation, IndexLocation, IdLocation and StreamLocation point to the SAMPLES namespace.

Now query:

SELECT *
FROM Utils.SamplePerson

Would fetch data from SAMPLES namespace.

The easiest solution here is to link the table from another namespace.  Only takes a second and you don't need to screw around getting the storage right (note: do NOT start editing storage defs if you can avoid it - that is not an easily maintained solution).  This solution does not work if you have to JOIN the two tables together (we call this a heterogeneous JOIN), however.  The next best solution is to write your own class query as @Stephen Canzano & @Michael Smart  have recommended.  It's a little work up front but you can make some easy changes, such as creating a temp table and populating it with data from the other namespace or using a process private global.