Question
· Jun 28, 2018

udp multicast data to sql record table - Outside-the-box thinking

Hi DC,

I'm looking for some creative outside-the-box thinking and gaudiness.
I have a device that send its data in UDP Multicast.

I need to parse this data and send it to an outside SQL table (sql outbound adapter)
I planned on a udp inbound adapter but apparently it is not operable.

Can anyone direct me to a thought on how to grab the data and send it to my future process?

I have thoughts on scripts that capture the data to file and then I will use the file inbound adapter, or maybe in some way, forward the UDP, packet to a TCP one (don’t know if possible)  and then use the TCP inbound adapter…

I'm not familiar enough on the networking level to know how solve it

Thanks

Gadi

Hi DC,

I'm looking for some creative outside-the-box thinking and gaudiness.
I have a device that send its data in UDP Multicast.

I need to parse this data and send it to an outside SQL table (sql outbound adapter)
I planned on a udp inbound adapter but apparently it is not operable.

Can anyone direct me to a thought on how to grab the data and send it to my future process?

I have some thoughts like scripts that capture the data to file and then I will use the file inbound adapter, or maybe in some way, forward the UDP, packet to a TCP one (don’t know if possible)  and then use the TCP inbound adapter…

I'm not familiar enough on the networking level to know how solve it

Thanks

Gadi

Discussion (3)0

Before dealing with adapters you should check if your UDP reaches your server at all.
You always get it if your server is on the same LAN segment as the sender.
But you depend on the setup of the router in the case that it is not in your LAN "neighborhood".

2nd your firewall should be willing to let pass this UDP.

Then you may check the traffic with some external tool to make it visible.

Or you check it directly from terminal following the instructions in IO device guide
chapter UDP Client/Server Communication

UDP is supported through the %Net.UDP class. This class provides methods
to Send() a packet to a specified destination and port,
to Recv() a packet from the socket,
and to Reply() to the transmitter of the last received packet.

Hi

Thanks you Robert and Stephen for you answer

Sorry for the delyed response, the controler connection to our LAN has a technical problem so I am not able to make tests yet.

Soon it will be fix and I will be able to contuine.

It is a nurse call alert system that can connect to the LAN and populate the events by Boradcast/Multicast, soo relevent hosts will catch it.

I want to harvest the Ensemble power ("Ensemble Rocks smiley")  to listen and recevie the events and be able transfer it to 3rd party relevent application on my side, but beacuse it uses UDP (TCP is not a problem) we encountered the challnge.

The product is InterCall IP Power Supply Controller - L7700, and as soon as I will have my connection back online, I hope to get some progress

Thanks

Gadi

I am really intrigued by what this device is and what kind of data you are looking to capture...  Is your host device a member of a specific multicast group? In Unix 'netstat -g' can show the multicast forwarding cache and in Windows 'route print' can be useful but might only apply if IP Routing is enabled on your interface in the 'ipconfig /all' output.

In a lab environment, when you ping a multicast address you would expect devices registered with that multicast address to reply with a single unicast response. Routers can also use specific multicast addresses for routing protocols like EIGRP and OSPF.