Question
· Aug 30, 2016

web applications and group-by ID

Hi, I have a question about web applications.

First, I know that my ZEN application is using a web application called /OurAppName, but I honestly don't know why it's choosing that web application over the default of /csp/default-namespace, so if you can give me a hint as to how else the web application is set, please do let me know.  I'd also love to see the web application's properties programmatically, if possible (such as the physical files path).

Our other web applications are called /OurAppName/NAMESPACE rather than /csp/namespace.

Yes, we have a standardPage that has an Application parameter, which is an Application class name, but this is different than the web application from Mgmt portal. Yes, I read the documentation on how the web application is discovered.

Second, we're noting that opening a second tab can cause a lot of problems with our ZEN application.  The user is already logged in, which is both fine and understandable; the tabs are sharing authentication and a license.  However, if one tab changes namespace, then the other tab also changes namespace.  This is not so good, but we know that it happens because the two tabs are also sharing %session Data.

My question is, if we go to using Group By ID (which is currently null) in the web application, will this fix the sharing of %session Data? (This is why I have to make sure I'm editing the correct web application!)

Finally, we have a web application for each namesspace; will we need the Group By ID for each application defined for each namespace, and should it be the same ID?

Thanks to any ZEN/web application developers out there who can help.

Laura

Discussion (3)0

I'd also love to see the web application's properties programmatically, if possible (such as the physical files path).

Use Security.Application class directly, or preferably via %Installer manifest.

but I honestly don't know why it's choosing that web application over the default of /csp/default-namespace

Uncompile and compile ZEN classes after setting default web application. Or you can try to set HOMEPAGE parameter in the application class.

My question is, if we go to using Group By ID (which is currently null) in the web application, will this fix the sharing of %session Data? (This is why I have to make sure I'm editing the correct web application!)

If the user opens one web application in two tabs, they would be sharing a session (and namespace). Group By ID would only help if you have N different applications and would specify N different values for Group By ID property. In that case, they should use N different sessions.

Finally, we have a web application for each namespace; will we need the Group By ID for each application defined for each namespace, and should it be the same ID?

Depends, if you want to share %session or not.

OK, that's helpful info Eduard.  I can use Security.Applications, but in order to get the properties, such as Path, I need an Application Name.  The question is, what Application name am I actually using?  I was going to use the path in order to find the application.

I think you're right in that the HOMEPAGE  is causing a specific application to be used.  However, as the user switches namespaces, the HOMEPAGE appears like this: /OurAppName/newhomepage.cls.  There's no mention of the namespace.

This could imply that only the one Application called '/OurAppName' is being used, in which case I think a Group By Id could work.  I'll have to think about what you said though.

Thanks,

Laura