Question
· Jan 15

Questions Regarding FHIR Server Installation and Implementation

We are in the process of installing a FHIR server on our InterSystems interface engine and have encountered a few questions. Your expertise and insights would be greatly appreciated:

1. Automatic Handling of Requests and Responses:
    • Is installing a FHIR server sufficient to handle requests (POST, GET, PUT) automatically without manual intervention? Can we expect automatic creation and updating of resources based on incoming requests?
  2. Storage of FHIR Resources:
    • Where are FHIR resources typically stored? Is it in a database, global arrays, or another form? Are there tools available to visualize and manage these resources in a manner similar to SQL tools?
  3. Accessing Data in Resources via Code:
    • How can we access data in FHIR resources programmatically? Are there specific libraries provided by InterSystems for this purpose?
  4. FHIR.HS.FHIRServer.Interop.Operation/FHIR.HS.FHIRServer.Interop.Service Class:
    • I came across the FHIR.HS.FHIRServer.Interop.Operation class in an exercise on the InterSystems learning site. Can anyone confirm its purpose, especially regarding storing JSON (or XML) as a resource? Additionally, is there a way to use it for other data retrieval and update operations?
  5. Scenario Implementation:
    • We have a scenario where, upon receiving a GET response from a third-party system, we need to:
      • Check for patient data in the resource.
      • If data exists, retrieve and send it to the requestor.
      • If not, send a PDQ message to another third party.
      • Upon receiving PDQ response, store data in the resource and transform HL7 into a FHIR response to send back to the original requestor.
    • What predefined classes would be suitable for implementing this scenario? Any guidance on the steps involved?

Your insights and suggestions would be immensely valuable in navigating through these implementation challenges. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Product version: IRIS 2021.1
Discussion (2)2

Hi @Ali Chaib !

1. Yes, it can work with POST, GET and PUT out of the box.

2. The data is stored in IRIS database, in global arrays - as any data other stored via InterSystems data products.

3. FHIR server exposes standard FHIR R4 REST API which you can access via HTTP requests.

4. These classes help with development Digital Health Interoperability scenarios, e.g. if you have to establish perpetual processes to read from FHIR server and/or transform the data into other formats (e.g. HL7) and/or send it into different consuming applications.

5. This can be implemented via Digital Health interoperability framework. See the example.

I request @Patrick Jamieson and @Daniel Franco to provide more information.

Thanks for your response Evgeny.

2-"The data is stored in IRIS database, in global arrays - as any data other stored via InterSystems data products": Is there a Global  naming convention to access these data? 

3-  How can we access data in FHIR resources programmatically? Are there specific libraries provided by InterSystems for this purpose?

I mean: Let's say I'm creating a new class in studio, to read  (GET) or to insert a resource (POST) or to update (PUT) a FHIR data resource.. How to do so using the code/object script studio 

4- Are there some examples of how to use these classes?

5-I'll be waiting for Patrick and Daniel feedbacks