Question
· Nov 13, 2018

Disaster recovery server in a cloud

Hi Community!

Consider I have InterSystems IRIS server in a cloud and want to introduce a DR server for it.

Are there any requirements for DR server for InterSystems IRIS if it is in a cloud?

Should it be the same subnet? One private cloud?

Can DR server be placed on another cloud, say Primary on Google Cloud and DR on Azure? Are there any caveats/concerns?

Discussion (3)2

The key issue in a DR scenario is network performance between the instances.

You will run most likely an Async Mirror to have a reasonable distance between production and DR site.
I wouldn't suppose enough bandwidth for a sync Mirror.

The other issue is the performance of the DR site.  You require enough performance to process all the synchronization within a reasonably short delay. This is often underestimated, Production servers grow and leave their DR site behind.

Not specific to the cloud but not less important: How can you verify that the content of your DR site is really identic to your production.
For a heavy transactional operation, this can be a real tricky exercise.

And last not least if you don't train your team for a disaster situation and verify your instructions step by step at least once a year all your investment could be wasted money.

Especially this last point is skipped quite often as it means in most cases a lot of effort with no immediate ROI.

Thanks, Robert!

I realized now that DR site should be in another cloud and on a distance because of the purpose.

DR is being implemented as ASYNC Mirror in InterSystems and I think the network performance/bandwidth is the key.

All you mentioned here is fair enough, thanks.

And what I realize in the end that network bandwidth requirements totally depends on the transactions load of the PRIMARY.

The hardware requirements of DR site is an easier thing - DR site can have the same configuration as PRIMARY.