Article
· May 29, 2018 1m read

Eclipse could not render the Atelier perspective after upgrading to Atelier 1.2

The Eclipse environment persists perspective data to enable layout customization and other features. Sometimes when this data becomes out of date, Eclipse fails to clear references to it. For example, upgrading a plug-in can leave behind data about an earlier version of that plug-in. This mechanism applies to all Eclipse plug-ins and is not unique to the Atelier plug-in.

In light of this: You may find that after upgrading from Atelier 1.1 to 1.2, your Atelier perspective looks something like:

To clean any persistent workbench data in Eclipse, you’ll want to use "-clearPersistedState". InterSystems suggests that after upgrading to Atelier 1.2 that you launch Eclipse from the command line using -clearPersistedState. This option is explained in the Eclipse Wiki here.

Note: We recommend that you use the command line flag as it 1) makes it easier to clean workbench data only on the one-off times it’s needed, and 2) typically allows Eclipse to use previously stored workbench data on startup. If you instead add the option to the eclipse.ini file you’ll likely want to remove the line from the configuration file before launching Eclipse a subsequent time.

Discussion (2)1

This happened to me after upgrading. Then I tried to run Eclipse  from terminal on OSX but is not trivial, so I am posting here in case someone else have the same problem.  

I needed to cd into /Users/myuser/eclipse/javascript-oxygen/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS and run it from there

$ cd /Users/msanchez/eclipse/javascript-oxygen/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS

$ ./eclipse -clearPersistedState

Be careful when you do this. It removed the Atelier perspective and views for me. I think the errors happened for me in first place because my java setup was messed up somehow. To fix it, I re-installed java and added the vm to the Eclipse shortcut, following suggestion from InterSystems support.  See Target shortcut value below. Keep in mind that your java files might be in a different folder.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\eclipse\eclipse.exe" "-vm C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_261\bin\javaw.exe"