Question
· May 17, 2017

Cache Backup Physical Memory Usage

Hi,

Is there a way you can limit the amount of physical memory Cache uses?

During Cache backup it appears that all the available memory on the server is being used.

We are running Ensemble 2016.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with 32GB of RAM.

The database we are backing up is about 300GB.

Thanks,

Graham

Discussion (3)1

During Cache backup it appears that all the available memory on the server is being used.

It's usually not a problem as the more memory is used for buffering the quicker file i/o operates. Only free memory is used for this purpose, so memory allocated by users' or system processes should not be swapped. Please add more details, why it turned to be a problem in your case?

PS. Double check in console log whether Cache allocates its shared memory segment using large pages as it guaranties that it is totally allocated at Cache startup and will neither be expanded nor swapped afterwards.

Thanks for your quick response.  The only reason for raising the issue was that our Server Team were getting concerned about how much memory was being used on the server.

I will feed back your response.

Looking at the console log I can see the following which I presume implies it is using large pages?

05/13/17-02:41:19:083 (3416) 0 Allocated 17186MB shared memory (large pages): 15360MB global buffers, 1023MB routine buffers

Thanks again,

Graham