Question
· Apr 3, 2017

How to convert date into string regardless of locale

I need to convert timestamp into HTTP-date as defined in section 3.3.1 of [RFC2068] HTTP-Date can have several representations, but preferable view is defined by RFC 822, updated by RFC 1123 and looks like this:

wkday "," SP date1 SP time SP "GMT"

Here's an example of HTTP-date value:

Sun, 06 Nov 1994 08:49:37 GMT

The problem I encountered, is that if server locale is not English, then $zd, $zdt and TO_CHAR return localized names of weekday and month (i.e: Вос). Is there a way to get English names of weekday and month regardless of server locale?

Just checked TO_CHAR and it also calls $zd.

Discussion (3)1

localeopt parameter solved the problem. This Boolean parameter specifies either the user’s current locale definition or the ODBC locale definition as the source for defaults for the locale-specified parameters dformat, monthlist, yearopt, mindate and maxdate:

• If localeopt=0, all of these parameters take the current locale definition defaults.
  • If localeopt=1, all of these parameters take the ODBC defaults.

For example:

write $zd($h,11,,,,,,,,1)
>Mon

Hi Eduard,

I came across this post from 2 years ago when trying to work out the simplest way to get current RFC 822/1123 HTTP-Date values from current timestamps for a request header value (eg the %Net.HttpRequest 'Date' property) in something I'm working on.

At the risk of telling you something you've found out elsewhere since then, it turns out there's already a classmethod that will output this (in GMT) from $horolog (or any $horolog-style ddddd,sssss value, with the assumption it's in local time/date):

write ##class(%CSP.StreamServer).ToHTTPDate($horolog)
>Fri, 18 Jan 2019 04:09:44 GMT

write $zdatetime($horolog,2)
>18 Jan 2019 15:09:44  //AEST timestamp

The Documatic details are here.

Cheers

Joe