Article
· Jan 13, 2017 2m read

Binding of the "this" variable in Zen custom components

I thought I'd share some issues I had today with Zen development in a custom component. Say we have created a Zen composite component with a few javascript methods that modify its child components. In order to modify these components, we can use something like the following method:

ClientMethod exampleFunction() [ Language = javascript ]
{
    var component this.getChildById('Control1');
    component.setValue('');
}

In JavaScript methods on the client, this refers to the current component or page. The equivalent for expressions that are values of XML attributes is zenThis (see documentation).

However, say that we want a time interval before the method gets called. We can create a wrapper method that uses the Javascript setTimeout() method.

ClientMethod exampleTimer() [ Language = javascript ]
{
    setTimeout(this.exampleFunction, 1000);
}

If we run exampleTimer(), we get the following error:
TypeError: this.getChildById is not a function

Why can't we call getChildById? The problem is with object binding. Here's a good explanation of the issues with Javascript binding by Christophe Porteneuve. When we call a method directly through its object, this is bound to that object (in this case, the composite component). But when we pass the method into setTimeout(), it's being called indirectly as a reference. As a result we experience a binding loss. The method is no longer bound to its parent object, and this reverts to referencing the window object.

A possible solution is to use a zenPage method to get a reference to the composite component. But this defeats the purpose of a custom component, which is to encapsulate code in a black box. We shouldn't need to know how to locate the component on the Zen page. The Porteneuve article includes a few solutions, including explicitly specifying binding with the apply method. In my case, the easiest solution was to avoid binding by passing in the component as an argument.

ClientMethod exampleFunction(composite) [ Language = javascript ]
{
    var component composite.getChildById('Control1');
    component.setValue('');
}

ClientMethod exampleTimer() [ Language = javascript ]
{
    setTimeout(this.exampleFunction, 1000, this);
}
Discussion (0)1