Question
· Mar 6, 2018

How to upgrade Cache 2015.1.4/SUSE running on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Cache 2017.2.1?

I have one in my testing environment. According to https://community.intersystems.com/post/licensing-ubuntu-and-suse-20171-and-later, I should move to native Ubuntu build with 2017.2. So I downloaded Cache for UNIX (Ubuntu Server LTS for x86-64) 2017.2.1 and tried to update my existing 2015.1.4 installation. What I got was:

Upgrade from lnxsusex64 platform is not allowed.

No packages will be installed.

Meanwhile new Cache 2017.2 instance was installed without any problem.

The question is: how to upgrade an existing one?

Discussion (4)3

Alexey,

The post you referred to was with respect to license key changes - I didn't see any guarantees that a previous non-Ubuntu installs would be upgradable (in fact I would be surprised if they were).

I suggest you contact the WRC for final confirmation, but I expect you'll need to start with a fresh instance and move over your code, config and data.

Ben

Ben,

Thanks for prompt response.

I didn't see any guarantees that a previous non-Ubuntu installs would be upgradable (in fact I would be surprised if they were)

In contrast, I was surprised that one supported platform (2015.1/SUSE on Ubuntu) is not clearly upgradable to another supported one (2017.2/Ubuntu). Direct upgrade from 2015.1 to 2017.2 was promised somewhere in Caché Installation Guide.

I suggest you contact the WRC for final confirmation

Thank you again, while I don't feel that this is a real problem worth disturbing WRC, meanwhile it seems that my solution is feasible.

Moving all the stuff from old 2015.1 to fresh 2017.2 instance was not a problem in my case, but it could cause some caveats, e.g. one should not forget to move all security settings, task manager tasks, etc. Anyway, there is (potentially) much more work to do than to change a couple of lines in parameters.isc file.

Any cons?

A bypass that was quickly found:

- Being a root, save a copy of <installation dir>/paramaters.isc file

- Change two lines of the original file from 

platform_selection.platform: lnxsusex64
platform_selection.platform_family: lnxsusex64

to

platform_selection.platform: lnxubuntux64
platform_selection.platform_family: lnxubuntux64

After that the upgrade installation proceeds without any problem, a few system and application functions which I've managed to try are OK as well.

I've published my question here because:

- I was not quite sure if my soultion was right.

- If it was right, could installation script be smart enough to recognize SUSE version installed on Ubuntu?

We don't want to allow the upgrade, because we now have a distinct kit fo Ubuntu, which requires some specific functionality which the SUSE kits not have or vice versa. I strongly recommend to make a fresh installation of Ubuntu, to make sure you have a clean set of components that fit together and will be consistent with future upgrades.