**NewBie's Corner Session 8 Not** Welcome to NewBie's Corner, a weekly or biweekly post covering basic Caché Material. Click on the Caché Cube in your system tray and select Terminal to try out these commands. **NOT operator ('), single quote or apostrophe ** The "NOT" operator reverses the truth-value and is intended for numeric operands, however it can be used on alphanumeric operands.
Set X=1
Write  'X

Set X=1
If X Write "True"                               ; 1 is always true and 0 is always false
True

Set X=0
Write 'X                                                ; X is 0, so "Not X" is 1 or true

Set X=1
Write 'X                                                ; X is 1, so "Not X" is 0 or false

Set X=0
If 'X Write "True"                              ; X is 0 so "Not X" is 1
True

Set X=5                                                                 ; Any "Non Zero" value is true
If X Write "True"
True

Set X=5
Write 'X                                                ; "Not X", or "Not 5", is 0 or false

Set X="1"
If X Write "True"                               ; 1 is always true even with Alphanumeric text
True

Set X="0"
Write 'X                                                ; X is 0, so "Not X" is 1 even with Alphanumeric

Set X="1"
Write 'X                                                ; X is 1, so "Not X" is 0 even with Alphanumeric
######  
Set X="0ABC"                     ; The first numeric is used and the rest is ignored
If 'X Write "True"
True

Set X="5ABC"                     ; "Not X", or "Not 5", is 0 or false
Write 'X                                ; The first numeric is used and the rest is ignored
######  
Set X="ABC0"                     ; If the numeric is not the first character the entire string is ignored
If 'X Write "True"
True
I suggest you spend some time on the Terminal trying some of these combinations. They are not always as obvious as you think. --Mike Kadow [_PaulMikeKadow@gmail.com_](mailto:PaulMikeKadow@gmail.com) If you have a comment, please respond through the InterSystems Developer Community, don't send my private email. Unless of course you wish to address me only. See [NewBie Index](/node/411951) for an index of all NewBie Corner posts.