The OKR methodology (Objectives and Key Results or Objectives and Key Results) is used by the largest companies in the world (such as Google, Netflix, Spotify, BMW, Linkedin, etc.) for agile performance management. It was created in the 1970s by Andrew Grove, president of Intel, and introduced to the general public in his famous book “High Output Management”.

Around 1998 John Doerr, one of the world's top venture capitalists, after coming into contact with Intel's OKR, introduced the model to Larry Page and Sergey Brin, who started a small company called Google.

6 0
1 224

Fixing the terminology

A robot is not expected to be either huge or humanoid, or even material (in disagreement with Wikipedia, although the latter softens the initial definition in one paragraph and admits virtual form of a robot). A robot is an automate, from an algorithmic viewpoint, an automate for autonomous (algorithmic) execution of concrete tasks. A light detector that triggers street lights at night is a robot. An email software separating e-mails into “external” and “internal” is also a robot. Artificial intelligence (in an applied and narrow sense, Wikipedia interpreting it differently again) is algorithms for extracting dependencies from data. It will not execute any tasks on its own, for that one would need to implement it as concrete analytic processes (input data, plus models, plus output data, plus process control). The analytic process acting as an “artificial intelligence carrier” can be launched by a human or by a robot. It can be stopped by either of the two as well. And managed by any of them too.

6 0
0 275
Article
· Jun 12, 2021 2m read
Running reviews on Open Exchange

For several weeks I'm creating reviews on OEX.
So I'd like to explain to you the criteria that I apply to find my ratings.
Of course, each reviewer is an independent person and has his own criteria and his own opinion.
And that's good and important! As Winston Churchill once said:

"If 2 people always have the same opinion, then 1 of them is superfluous"

6 6
0 245

cAdvisor (short for container Advisor) analyzes and exposes resource usage and performance data from running containers. cAdvisor exposes Prometheus metrics out of the box.

https://prometheus.io/docs/guides/cadvisor/

Prometheus is integrated in SAM. This makes it possible to leverage the cAdvisor metrics and expose them via Prometheus and Grafana.

5 2
0 1.3K
Article
· Apr 20, 2021 2m read
ZPM Explorer

Hi Community,

@José Pereira and I want to introduce ZPM Explorer, our graphic interface to explorer the greats applications that we have inside InterSystems Package Manager.

The idea

ZPM Explorer's idea is to make it easier for people to find out what ZPM offers. Every week, every day, a new app joins the ZPM world, so why not help developers and non-developers take advantage of this incredible world?!

5 9
1 634

Introduction

InterSystems IRIS 2020.1 includes PEX (Production EXtension Framework) to facilitate the development of IRIS Interoperability productions with components written in Java or .NET.

Thanks to PEX, an integration developer with knowledge of Java or .NET can benefit from the power, scalability, and robustness of the InterSystems IRIS Interoperability framework and be productive in no time.

5 4
1 908

In Studio you could open a class directly via it's name, without having to traverse the package tree with multiple clicks until arriving at the desired class.

You would Ctrl + O or (File -> Open) and be able to simply type in the class name, for example:

You press Enter, and viola - the class is opened.

How do you achieve this in VSCode?

5 1
0 530

In this article, we’ll look at one of the ways to monitor the InterSystems IRIS data platform (IRIS) deployed in the Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE). The GKE integrates easily with Cloud Monitoring, simplifying our task. As a bonus, the article shows how to display metrics from Cloud Monitoring in Grafana.

Note that the Google Cloud Platform used in this article is not free (price list), but you can leverage a free tier. This article assumes that you already have a project in the Google Cloud Platform (referred to as <your_project_id>) and have permission to use it.

5 0
2 359
Article
· Oct 12, 2021 2m read
Generating OFX [V1]

Just in case you never heard about OFX before
V1 was an attempt to create a dedicated SGML for banking and ignoring XML. Details.
It evolved to XML but not for M$ MONEY. Today we would use JSON for similar tasks.

5 4
0 366

Like hardware hosts, virtual hosts in public and private clouds can develop resource bottlenecks as workloads increase. If you are using and managing InterSystems IRIS instances deployed in public or private clouds, you may have encountered a situation in which addressing performance or other issues requires increasing the capacity of an instance's host (that is, vertically scaling).

5 1
0 368

Hello, developers!

I would like to share the history of the project - the ZAPM shell.

As soon as ZPM was implemented, I immediately began to think about how best to use it.

And immediately faced with the desire to move more quickly between namespaces, especially when there are more than 20 of them.
I had to leave the ZPM, move to the desired namespace and re-enter the shell.
I suggested an improvement - a new "namespace" command for easier navigation.
I didn’t wait - I did it myself. And so it went. If you need it, get ready to do it yourself.

5 0
0 184
Article
· Nov 23, 2021 4m read
Mutual TLS setup

Hi,

I recently needed to setup an SSL/TLS configuration in IRIS that supported mutual authentication (where the server IRIS is establish a connection to is verified, and, where IRIS is in turn verified by the remote host). After a bit of research and getting it done, I thought it worthwhile to just go over the process I went through in order to potential help others, and save you some time .

4 1
1 775
Article
· Apr 20, 2021 3m read
Why gj :: locate?

You may think it isn’t too difficult to get from label+offset^routine to the actual source line responsible for the error. For an expert it isn't that hard... most of the time. But there are enough oddities and special rules that even an expert can get it wrong, whilst spending a lot of time trying to get there.

gj :: locate is the latest tool from George James Software – it debugs any error, class or routine by converting the location of an error in compiled .int code to the corresponding location in your source, and then taking you right there.

Image this scenario…

4 0
1 192